Re: MCSD or MCPD which one is better

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by Chris Mullins [MVP], Jan 23, 2007.

  1. At this point in time, MCSD is an obsolete certification. It'll be around
    for a while yet, and you can still get it, but the technology that it
    represents (.Net 1.1) is obsolete.

    The MCPD track is the current generation of certs, and were you should be
    looking at this point in time. It's .Net 2.0 with plans to add in MCTS for
    ..Net 3.0.

    --
    Chris Mullins, MCSD.NET, MCPD:Enterprise, MVP C#
    http://www.coversant.net/blogs/cmullins

    Chris Mullins [MVP], Jan 23, 2007

  2. MCSD may be obsolete, Chris, however, if you do a search on Monster.com, you
    will find much more MCSD jobs (405) than MCPD (52).
    Employers have yet to get the word.
    I have been advising that if you only deal with .NET Framework 2.0, then go
    for the new certificates (MCTS, MCPD). If you are dealing with .NET Framework
    1.x, or are thinking about working with a company that does, then go for the
    MCAD/MCSD and later on take the upgrade exams.
    The main advantage for MCPD in "mozilla's" case is that he only deals with
    WinForms. Since the MCSD/MCAD requires both Windows and Web development to
    get a certification, whereas one can get a MCPD in Windows development alone,
    that might be the easier path for him or her.
    (Once MCPD passes MCSD on Monster, I will flip the order of my
    certifications in my tagline and on my resume. I noticed on your tagline that
    you have MCSD first as well - that sort of contradicts your message here.)

    =?Utf-8?B?TGFycnlXZXN0TUNTRA==?=, Jan 25, 2007

  3. It's funny you mention that.

    I've, in the past, done that same keyword search on Dice, just to see what
    the numbers look like. I've got to agree with you that "the word", so to
    speak, has yet to be spread. I don't know Microsoft's plans for really
    pushing the new Cert track to employer's, but at this point MCSD (and MCAD)
    is certainly the more recognized path.

    I also think the MCSD track is quite a bit easier. My father, due to
    boredome, recently started taking online programming classes. He's doing
    mostly WinForms stuff with VB.Net and even toying with the idea of trying to
    get a contract posistion doing that type of work.

    When he asked, I recommend he try to get an MCAD cert, and that he start
    with the WinForms exam (I gave him my old set of MCSD study books, with the
    CD full of sample test questions).

    As for my tagline, I really don't have any particular reason for the order
    of things. I just though it flowed best that way..

    Chris Mullins [MVP], Jan 25, 2007