Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Chris Mayhew, Jun 18, 2004.

  1. Chris Mayhew

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    steve <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Today.....ran the online update for McAfee VirusScan on my wife's WinME
    > system. I had last run it 2 days ago.
    >
    > Two updates were applied tonight.
    >
    > Re-booted.....and now the McAfee AV crashes on startup every time and
    > also crashes when run manually.
    >
    > So it's killed itself.
    >
    > I think I've had enough of this. Tonight I'm building a Linux box for
    > her and that's gonna be the end of that.
    >
    > Anyone else had this problem today?

    I haven't used McAfee for a long time, but I'm interested in knowing
    how large the dat file updates are. CA have you downloading a MB a
    time while Panda use to be only a few KB (unless it was a major
    update)

    Thanks
    Chris

    Chris Mayhew, Jun 18, 2004

  2. Chris Mayhew wrote:
    > I haven't used McAfee for a long time, but I'm interested in knowing
    > how large the dat file updates are. CA have you downloading a MB a
    > time while Panda use to be only a few KB (unless it was a major
    > update)

    CA is a PITA with it's full Dat downloads rather than an incremental.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 18, 2004

  3. In article <>,
    dave@no_spam_here_please.dave.net.nz says...
    > Chris Mayhew wrote:
    > > I haven't used McAfee for a long time, but I'm interested in knowing
    > > how large the dat file updates are. CA have you downloading a MB a
    > > time while Panda use to be only a few KB (unless it was a major
    > > update)

    > CA is a PITA with it's full Dat downloads rather than an incremental.

    Actually, eTrust has both full and incremental updates. See here for
    example:

    http://www3.ca.com/support/vicdownload/SignDownload.aspx?CID=49737

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 18, 2004
  4. Chris Mayhew

    Chris Guest

    Patrick Dunford <> wrote in

    > In article <>,
    > dave@no_spam_here_please.dave.net.nz says...
    >> Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >> > I haven't used McAfee for a long time, but I'm interested in knowing
    >> > how large the dat file updates are. CA have you downloading a MB a
    >> > time while Panda use to be only a few KB (unless it was a major
    >> > update)

    >> CA is a PITA with it's full Dat downloads rather than an incremental.

    > Actually, eTrust has both full and incremental updates. See here for
    > example:
    >
    > http://www3.ca.com/support/vicdownload/SignDownload.aspx?CID=49737

    Still more than a few (2-3) KB. My updates are around 1 MB every couple of
    days - which don't tie into the figures at that page.
    --
    Chris

    Chris, Jun 20, 2004