Re: [Maxxum 7D] -shutter lag

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bill Tuthill, Mar 10, 2005.

  1. Bill Tuthill

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    Alan Browne <> wrote:

    > With the Maxxum 7D, the delay seems a bit longer (not really perceptible
    > in human terms) but the results were well behind the play. It's hard to
    > quantify without instrumentation, but I would guess that it's closer to
    > 100ms for the Maxxum 7D.

    According to Imaging-resource.com, AF shutter lag is 0.266, "quite fast".
    You could compare other DSLR timings.

    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/MAX7/D7A7.HTM

    > (I was shooting manual focus, manual exp., A/S was off). Anyone else?

    Manual focus improves shutter lag only by a small margin, 0.253 second,
    "not especially fast for a digital SLR."

    Prefocus via shutter half-press would gain you some time, 0.117 second.

    [Sorry, I can't post to dslr-systems]
    Bill Tuthill, Mar 10, 2005

  2. Bill Tuthill <> wrote in news::

    > [Sorry, I can't post to dslr-systems]

    Sign up for a free account with ReadFreeNews...

    http://cust.readfreenews.net

    (the link was posted in here the other day)

    If that doesn't work out for you, then I have info about another free
    server...e-mail if you'd like the info.

    --

    Bill
    Woodchuck Bill, Mar 10, 2005

  3. Bill Tuthill

    Alan Browne Guest

    Bill Tuthill wrote:

    > Alan Browne <> wrote:
    >
    >>With the Maxxum 7D, the delay seems a bit longer (not really perceptible
    >>in human terms) but the results were well behind the play. It's hard to
    >>quantify without instrumentation, but I would guess that it's closer to
    >>100ms for the Maxxum 7D.

    > According to Imaging-resource.com, AF shutter lag is 0.266, "quite fast".
    > You could compare other DSLR timings.

    It didn't seem that long most of the time, although there were times
    when it seemed longer...

    > http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/MAX7/D7A7.HTM

    Thanks.

    > Manual focus improves shutter lag only by a small margin, 0.253 second,
    > "not especially fast for a digital SLR."
    >
    > Prefocus via shutter half-press would gain you some time, 0.117 second.

    That sounds more like what I was getting...

    I was prefocused, or rather, manual focused and shutter half depressed
    on most of the shots. I did do a few 'stabs' as well.

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    Alan Browne, Mar 10, 2005
  4. Bill Tuthill

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    Alan Browne <> wrote:

    >> Prefocus via shutter half-press would gain you some time, 0.117 second.

    > That sounds more like what I was getting...
    > I was prefocused, or rather, manual focused and shutter half depressed
    > on most of the shots. I did do a few 'stabs' as well.

    Hmm, seems like half-pressing the shutter prepares the buffer,
    or something.

    I'm making a comparison list for DSLRs tested by Imaging-resource
    and will post later.
    Bill Tuthill, Mar 11, 2005