Re: masters degree in CS

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by jab3, Oct 1, 2003.

  1. jab3

    jab3 Guest

    w_tom wrote:

    > Depends on numerous factors. For example, many companies
    > have so little knowledge of what their employees do as to
    > simply (as if it was magic) increase an employee's salary only
    > because he has a Master's Degree. The degree means you look
    > better on a resume.
    >
    > However there are many types of CS degree programs. Some
    > simply hand out degrees for taking some courses. Others
    > actually want to teach more about new or innovative
    > technology. IOW if you want to learn something (also), then
    > where you take that CS is important.
    >
    > In America (too often), what you can do is not as important
    > as what you can do that affects the bottom line this year.
    > That is why so many engineering schools are subverting or
    > outright down sizing their engineering programs so as to
    > expand their newly established MBA programs. Teaching MBAs
    > costs much less than teaching real world knowledge. In Japan,
    > there is a expression for it - MBA - Made Being in America.
    > The short term business action has become more important than
    > a product design done years previous - and only just now
    > contributing to the bottom line.
    >
    > It comes down to this. Do you want to maximize your income
    > - doing something worthwhile is irrelevant. Or do you really
    > want to accomplish something - personal accomplishment. If
    > the latter, then consider the first two paragraphs. If money
    > (and greed) is your primary objective, then get the MBA -
    > people who cannot do anything but who get the big bonuses by
    > looking better on spreadsheets.

    What do you think about someone who doesn't have a BS in Computer Science?
    Should that person (me) go back and get another undergrad degree (the one I
    have is in a completely irrelevent field to CS), or go ahead and get the CS
    Masters - after taking some prerequisite courses naturally?

    jab3

    jab3, Oct 1, 2003

  2. jab3

    jab3 Guest

    w_tom wrote:

    > While taking master courses with so many CS students, one
    > stunning fact became surprisingly obvious. Many did not even
    > know a programming language. They were users simply looking
    > for a degree to meet company requirements. In one course where
    > we simulated a computer system, one of the four team members
    > could not program in any language. He wrote the report.
    > Others did the programming. It was not the only example.
    >
    > There really appeared to be little prerequisite in computer
    > knowledge other than an ability to run a computer.
    >
    > If you were asking about a masters in chemistry or
    > electrical engineering, then yes, there are some unique
    > prerequisite courses necessary to understand required
    > courses. But in industry, many programmers have no CS
    > degree. They were physic majors or masters of chemical
    > engineering who needed a job. Programming job was available.
    > Any science background is usually sufficient. Sometimes even
    > an English degree will do.
    >
    > Go for the masters in CS as long as you meet those math and
    > other prerequisites. Courses are not hard.

    Cool. Thanks for the info. Yeah, I'm learning C right now, along with A+
    stuff and operating systems self-study. But the college where I would take
    it will require me to take a couple of math courses naturally, since I
    don't have them with my liberal arts background - and Computer
    Architecture/OS and a programming class. I have a choice between C++ or
    Java. I'm thinking I may go with C++, but I don't know. It makes more
    sense to me since I'm learning C anyway. Who knows what will happen. :)

    jab3

    jab3, Oct 2, 2003