Re: master/slave terms banned

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Jinkies, Nov 25, 2003.

  1. Jinkies

    Jinkies Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    >David K <> wrote in
    >
    >> LA County bans the terms Master and Slave when denoting hard disk
    >> setups.
    >>
    >> http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/master.asp
    >>
    >> When will the A+ material be updated? Thanks.
    >>
    >> Hehe.

    >Only in America can something like this happen.

    If that were true then the claim that america is the greatest place on earth
    would definitely be true. However I think many democratic countries would be
    prepared to make important (or unimportant, depending on your
    perspective) social reforms. I certainly hope "something like this could
    happen" here in Canada, although I don't necessarily want this particular
    reform to happen.

    >I would like to see
    >them enforce this, because I don't think they can.

    I've never heard of anyone being able to enforce a request either.

    >I'm not a lawyer,

    And lawyers aren't necessarily critical thinkers, which is what you have to be
    in order to figure out the appropriateness of this situation.

    >but it would seem to me that doing this would cause unnecessary
    >hardship to vendors (rewriting manuals/books/training materials, etc).

    Boo hoo. If a vendor wants to sell stuff to the County of LA he might want to
    consider the request, otherwise he might lose his contract to a competitor who
    is prepared to satisfy the customer, which is what good business is all about.

    >What about books already in print, like "White Slaves, African Masters:
    >An Anthology of American Barbary Captivity Narratives by Paul Michel
    >Baepler"?

    Uh yeah, what about them? LA County isn't looking to ban any history books.
    See how easy it is to make bizarre statements when you don't know how to think
    critically?
    Jinkies, Nov 25, 2003