    pick up usb mouse , usb cable link to another pc. and I did have a guitar
    port which used usb connection as well . Any ideas how I can force xp to see
    this other external hard drive , any help much appreciated.
    Anthony Crowder, Apr 18, 2004

  2. Anthony Crowder wrote:

    > I have a external case that has a 10 gig hard drive ide . This is set to
    > slave .
    > but the problem I have is that I cant get the cd that came with the device
    > to work this loads the driver etc . When I put the disk in the cd rom drive
    > and hit the set up button al I get is copy file error , I then click ok and
    > then get a message saying that the usb storage driver has been installed
    > complete . I look in the device manager to see if the mass storage usb
    > driver is there and nothing.......

    OK, so it sounds like the CD is either faulty or dirty. Can you see
    any damage or marks and have you tried giving it a good but gentle
    clean? The "installed complete" doesn't necessarily mean that it has
    been completely installed. It just means that the attempt at
    installing has completed.

    > I have tried add hard new hardware still does not see the external drive
    > ...any ideas where im going wrong?

    You haven't got the driver software off the CD.

    > running windows xp home edition loads of ram pent 4 pro.etc usb ports do
    > pick up usb mouse , usb cable link to another pc. and I did have a guitar
    > port which used usb connection as well . Any ideas how I can force xp to see
    > this other external hard drive , any help much appreciated.

    Presumably it detects this USB device when you plug in the USB with XP
    running? So it is seeing the device, it just isn't handling it
    properly. I have several makes and models of USB external drives and
    they all worked with XP without installing drivers from CD- what is
    the make and model of yours? Is it very old? Very new?
    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Apr 18, 2004

  3. Anthony Crowder

    Dale Harper Guest

    Try setting the Hard Drive to Master

    Dale

    Dale Harper, Apr 18, 2004
  4. its new but seems to be unbranded. We tried to load onto another machine
    with no luck either . Is there a general driver for this type of equipment?
    The usb case is from America and only a few months old
    Tony

    Anthony Crowder, Apr 19, 2004
  5. Anthony Crowder wrote:

    > its new but seems to be unbranded. We tried to load onto another machine
    > with no luck either . Is there a general driver for this type of equipment?
    > The usb case is from America and only a few months old
    > Tony

    Surely there is some markings on it, FCC number, whatever?
    It may work without these problems with XP.

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Apr 19, 2004
  6. Anthony Crowder

    Solo Guest

    Try setting it to master, mine works fine.

    Regards Bri@n.

    Solo, Apr 19, 2004
  7. i shall try setting to master but surly i should be able to install the
    software ? What kind of software came with your drive ? and will windows xp
    have a standard driver for this type of device?
    information on machine
    product name usb 2.0 to 3.5 ide external case
    computer port 1 upstream ports mini type b
    power dc adapter 5 vlts
    then cefc 0313a8-0090cs
    and thats all the info
    done it thanks had to set the external drive to master , soon as done that
    picked up straight away .thanks again

    Anthony Crowder, Apr 20, 2004