Re: Marketing of foreign films

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Gunther Gloop, Aug 28, 2003.

  1. Mobutu wrote:
    > I'm sick of respectable foreign films being given stupid
    > DVD covers in an atempt to make them 'eye-catching' to the
    > public.
    >
    > Look at the recent critically acclaimed Finnish film "The
    > man without a past". This is the very good poster that was
    > used to promote the film around the world:
    >
    > http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Ss/0311519/poster.jpg
    >
    > Now look at the idiotic DVD cover it was given for the UK
    > release a few days ago:
    >
    > http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B000096KKH.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
    >
    > The latter is clearly aimed at people with ADHD. It has to
    > be as LOUD as possible to try to attract attention. It has
    > to have single-phrase review excerpts screaming at the
    > customer to convince them to take a chance and watch a
    > foreign-language film.
    >
    > It is the same case with many other films. It's a disgrace
    > and it needs to stop.

    I don't really have a problem with promoters trying their best to make a
    movie attractive to more people, but the colour scheme (if nothing else) in
    the new photo above is _horrible_. The blue & yellow of the original poster
    is very nice (not mad about the image itself though -as a poster). If they
    used the new 'silly pics' with the colour scheme of the original I think it
    would make for a much more attractive all-round package.

    -Kevin.

    --
    Reply to:
    Gunther Gloop, Aug 28, 2003