Re: Market Research GPS GSM IPIRB/low Jack

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Richard, May 18, 2009.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Collector€NZ wrote:
    > Yeah bit of a different heading
    >
    > I have a sample order of some GPS gadgets coming in to NZ this week.
    >
    > They could be described as a Poor mans Lo Jack or EPIRB
    >
    > They are a unit with GPS built in and SMS and GPRS capability.
    >
    > Basically the unit will respond to a text message or a Call and send
    > Latitude and Longtitude to the calling/texting number.
    >
    > It also has three buttons on it allowing predefined messages (including
    > lat long info) to be sent by the device.
    >
    > But wait there is more and it's not Ginsu Steak knives.
    >
    > The unit can be configured to send lat/long data on a regular defined
    > period.
    >
    > With the GPRS capability (which I havnt quite got my head around yet)
    > real time on line tracking is a possibility.

    More useful would be a video feed in realtime or failing that a ftp
    upload of still images.

    > Currently only usable on Vodaphone, but I hope also going to be
    > available on Telescum's XT network.

    A friend got a cheap thing from deal extreme that does this - never
    gonna work on XT since china is GSM only - nothing 3g out on their
    domestic market. If you have a source on a UMTS850 capable one of those
    I would be interested since I am going to be moving to telecom soon (as
    it seems most people are)

    Richard, May 18, 2009