Re: Mandate reminder/update & new mandate!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Annika1980, Apr 17, 2010.

  1. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Apr 16, 9:12 am, Bowser <> wrote:

    > Next, the new mandate announcement: The Wallpaper Project. Here's what
    > this means: I use a few of my shots as wallpaper on my PC; we all
    > probably do. This mandate will challenge the shooter to produce the
    > best wallpaper in wide screen format so other users can download and
    > use the shot as wallpaper on their PC. All submissions must be 1920 x
    > 1200 pixels to fill a wide monitor. Shooters are limited to ONE
    > submission for this mandate only, so make your wallpaper a good one,
    > and make sure it looks good at large sizes (like a 24" monitor). You
    > may include your "signature" on the photo, as well.  Lastly, the 300K
    > file size limit is waived for this mandate.
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/wallpaper

    Love it! In fact, I love it so much I just submitted my Wallpaper
    entry which I took today.
    It is quite awesome if I do say so myself. I even have it as my
    desktop wallpaper, albeit at a slightly reduced size.

    The bar is set high on this one, peeps. Better bring your A-game!

    And don't forget the Facescape mandate, as well. I'm still workin on
    that one.

    Annika1980, Apr 17, 2010

  2. Annika1980

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 10:02:18 -0400, Bowser <> wrote:

    >Glad to hear you like the Wallpaper mandate. I wasn't sure what kind
    >of reaction I'd get with a mandate geared towards a use rathen than a
    >subject. And I'm anxious to see what people submit, and if they
    >account for the "practiality" of the image. You know, leaving room for
    >icons, not too busy, etc.

    I don't object, at all, but I don't think I really understand the
    mandate. Other than aspect ratio, what's different about a wallpaper
    image?

    I don't use wallpaper on my PC, but I do have an image of the
    grandchildren on my laptop. My conception of a wallpaper image is
    either a family photograph or one of those bland and soothing
    waterfall or forest scenes.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Apr 17, 2010

  3. Annika1980

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 10:02:18 -0400, Bowser <> wrote:
    : Glad to hear you like the Wallpaper mandate. I wasn't sure what kind
    : of reaction I'd get with a mandate geared towards a use rathen than
    : a subject. And I'm anxious to see what people submit, and if they
    : account for the "practicality" of the image. You know, leaving room
    : for icons, not too busy, etc.

    In pre-Vista Windows OSes you could substitute a background picture for the
    bland Microsoft screen to which the computer booted up. I've been known to
    shoot a picture with the subject deliberately displaced to the side, so that
    it wouldn't be interfered with by the logon window. The capacity of the human
    brain to invent ways to waste time is boundless.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Apr 17, 2010
  4. Annika1980

    Eric Stevens Guest

    On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 10:39:15 -0400, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    >On 10-04-17 10:15 , tony cooper wrote:
    >> On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 10:02:18 -0400, Bowser<> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Glad to hear you like the Wallpaper mandate. I wasn't sure what kind
    >>> of reaction I'd get with a mandate geared towards a use rathen than a
    >>> subject. And I'm anxious to see what people submit, and if they
    >>> account for the "practiality" of the image. You know, leaving room for
    >>> icons, not too busy, etc.

    >> I don't object, at all, but I don't think I really understand the
    >> mandate. Other than aspect ratio, what's different about a wallpaper
    >> image?
    >>
    >> I don't use wallpaper on my PC, but I do have an image of the
    >> grandchildren on my laptop. My conception of a wallpaper image is
    >> either a family photograph or one of those bland and soothing
    >> waterfall or forest scenes.

    >If you waltz through a typical office you'll see all manner of
    >wallpaper, some that are refreshingly non-PC. Some guys like their cars
    >('cause they're not allowed to have bikini'd or less women up in the
    >office) , ladies like their beaus, you'll see kittens, dogs, puppies,
    >flowers, and ...
    >
    >IMO a good wallpaper image for a monitor has a subject of interest that
    >occupies a smallish percentage of the frame (say 25% or less) and to the
    >extreme left or right. The balance of the image should be flat,
    >little-detail, smooth - an area to place desktop icons etc. Variations
    >include the subject at the top or bottom or corners. I suppose, for
    >bonus points, that it should not have text in it such that it can easily
    >be mirrored left-right according to the taste of the user.

    Until a few months ago I spent two thirds of my time sitting in front
    of my computer. Wall paper photographs formed a large part of my life.
    As a result I tried various wall papers but eventually concluded that
    the best are something you can live with for a long time.

    I don't believe that putting up your best photograph is the right
    thing to do. After a while, your familiarity with it will have reduced
    it to just another 'ho-hum' in your eyes.

    It should not be so complex that screen icons tend to disappear within
    it. What you want is an uncluttered photograph that is easy on the eye
    and does not provoke you into wanting to change it (again) for
    another.

    Even if it's not a wildly spectacular photograph there is no reason
    why such a wall paper should not provoke visitors into saying "That's
    nice. Where was it taken?" or some such.

    Eric Stevens

    Eric Stevens, Apr 17, 2010