Re: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Woger, Apr 28, 2009.

  1. Woger

    Woger Guest

    On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 05:59:35 +1200, "Michael" <> wrote:

    >Has anyone here tried Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program?
    >There is a freeware version and a payfor version.
    >No I'm not connected, just have a friends computer that appears to have a
    >number of virii or Trojans etc and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has been
    >recommended as being one that will kill them. Already tried Spy-bot and
    >Adaware and a couple of others with no success.
    >Yes I have checked the web for comments/reports but was wondering if anyone
    >had actually used it.
    >TIA
    >
    >Michael

    Useless get Unhackme

    Woger, Apr 28, 2009

  2. Woger

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Woger" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 05:59:35 +1200, "Michael" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Has anyone here tried Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program?
    >>There is a freeware version and a payfor version.
    >>No I'm not connected, just have a friends computer that appears to have a
    >>number of virii or Trojans etc and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has been
    >>recommended as being one that will kill them. Already tried Spy-bot and
    >>Adaware and a couple of others with no success.
    >>Yes I have checked the web for comments/reports but was wondering if
    >>anyone
    >>had actually used it.
    >>TIA
    >>
    >>Michael
    >>

    > Useless get Unhackme

    Care to explain?

    Craig Sutton, Apr 29, 2009

  3. Woger

    Woger Guest

    On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 19:40:09 +1200, "Craig Sutton" <>
    wrote:

    >"Woger" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 05:59:35 +1200, "Michael" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Has anyone here tried Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program?
    >>>There is a freeware version and a payfor version.
    >>>No I'm not connected, just have a friends computer that appears to have a
    >>>number of virii or Trojans etc and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has been
    >>>recommended as being one that will kill them. Already tried Spy-bot and
    >>>Adaware and a couple of others with no success.
    >>>Yes I have checked the web for comments/reports but was wondering if
    >>>anyone
    >>>had actually used it.
    >>>TIA
    >>>
    >>>Michael
    >>>

    >> Useless get Unhackme
    >>>

    >Care to explain?

    Well I ran it when I having problems with my PC and it never showed a Thing,
    but the Sysintenals did find suspicious files.

    HiJackThis did not show any think but UnHackme did and fixed it..

    Woger, Apr 29, 2009
  4. In message <>, Woger wrote:

    > Well I ran it when I having problems with my PC and it never showed a
    > Thing, but the Sysintenals did find suspicious files.
    >
    > HiJackThis did not show any think but UnHackme did and fixed it..

    Perhaps the lesson you're missing is not that one particular tool is better
    than another, but that you need more than one, because the sieve-like nature
    of Dimdows is such that any one tool is almost certainly going to miss
    something.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 29, 2009
  5. Woger

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Woger" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 19:40:09 +1200, "Craig Sutton"
    > <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Woger" <> wrote in message

    >>> Useless get Unhackme
    >>>>

    >>Care to explain?
    >>

    > Well I ran it when I having problems with my PC and it never showed a
    > Thing,
    > but the Sysintenals did find suspicious files.

    One finds spyware, the others specifically for rootkits

    > HiJackThis did not show any think but UnHackme did and fixed it..

    You have to know what you are doing and understand how to analyse the logs
    hijackthis creates its not an antispyware software.

    Craig Sutton, Apr 29, 2009
  6. Woger

    Enkidu Guest

    Woger wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 19:40:09 +1200, "Craig Sutton" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> "Woger" <> wrote in message

    >>> Useless get Unhackme

    >> Care to explain?

    > Well I ran it when I having problems with my PC and it never showed a Thing,
    > but the Sysintenals did find suspicious files.
    >
    > HiJackThis did not show any think but UnHackme did and fixed it..

    ....and shortly after that you were complaining that you couldn't get on
    to the Internet.

    Roger, these programs throw up 'false positives' on purpose, to convince
    you that it did something. Then they 'remove' the fake problem. Remember
    Zone Alarm? That was notorious for it.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Apr 29, 2009
  7. Woger

    Woger Guest

    On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 08:56:42 +1200, Enkidu <> wrote:

    >Woger wrote:
    >> On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 19:40:09 +1200, "Craig Sutton" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Woger" <> wrote in message

    >>> Care to explain?

    >> Well I ran it when I having problems with my PC and it never showed a Thing,
    >> but the Sysintenals did find suspicious files.
    >>
    >> HiJackThis did not show any think but UnHackme did and fixed it..
    >>

    >...and shortly after that you were complaining that you couldn't get on
    >to the Internet.

    Please post that as I don't think so, it not possible to complain that I can't
    get onto the Internet unless I have a separate computer, simple logic.

    >Roger, these programs throw up 'false positives' on purpose, to convince
    >you that it did something. Then they 'remove' the fake problem. Remember
    >Zone Alarm? That was notorious for it.

    Avast is the only one that keeps throwing up 'false positives' so I use the
    Free Kapersky to double check..

    Woger, Apr 29, 2009
  8. Woger

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 08:56:42 +1200, Enkidu <> wrote:
    >
    > >Woger wrote:

    > >> Well I ran it when I having problems with my PC and it never showed a Thing,
    > >> but the Sysintenals did find suspicious files.
    > >>
    > >> HiJackThis did not show any think but UnHackme did and fixed it..
    > >>

    > >...and shortly after that you were complaining that you couldn't get on
    > >to the Internet.

    > Please post that as I don't think so, it not possible to complain that I can't
    > get onto the Internet unless I have a separate computer, simple logic.
    >

    > >Roger, these programs throw up 'false positives' on purpose, to convince
    > >you that it did something. Then they 'remove' the fake problem. Remember
    > >Zone Alarm? That was notorious for it.

    > Avast is the only one that keeps throwing up 'false positives' so I use the
    > Free Kapersky to double check..

    You've got problems then. I've *never* seen a false positive from the
    free/home version of Avast - and it's installed on many PC's that I know
    of (I recommended it over the crappy lattest version of free AVG).

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Apr 30, 2009
  9. Woger

    Enkidu Guest

    Woger wrote:
    > On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 08:56:42 +1200, Enkidu
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Woger wrote:

    >>> Well I ran it when I having problems with my PC and it never
    >>> showed a Thing, but the Sysintenals did find suspicious files.
    >>>
    >>> HiJackThis did not show any think but UnHackme did and fixed it..
    >>>

    >> ...and shortly after that you were complaining that you couldn't
    >> get on to the Internet.

    > Please post that as I don't think so, it not possible to complain
    > that I can't get onto the Internet unless I have a separate computer,
    > simple logic.

    Sorry, my mistake. You complained that you couldn't get on to the
    Windows update site.

    Enkidu, Apr 30, 2009
  10. In message <>, Woger wrote:

    > Well I ran it when I having problems with my PC and it never showed a
    > Thing ...

    Apparently if you insist on running old PCs, you're going to have a much
    higher "security incident rate". Or so says Intel
    <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/28/intel_enterprise_pc_survey/> ...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 30, 2009