Re: Making replica file servers

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Dragon, Oct 2, 2003.

  1. Dragon

    Dragon Guest

    Clusters!

    Dragon, Oct 2, 2003

  2. Dragon

    Ben Freeman Guest

    Yeah, that would work perfectly... except price wise :)
    Might just have to create some added budget I guess!
    Thanks.

    -Ben

    Ben Freeman, Oct 2, 2003

  3. Dragon

    Dragon Guest

    You can use DFS as well...

    Please ready the fourth para under the 'Practicle uses of DFS Trees'
    http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/downloads/winfeatures/NTSDistrFile/AdminGuide.asp

    HTH

    Dragon, Oct 2, 2003
  4. Dragon

    Ben Freeman Guest

    Yeah, see i've read that before.. but I have DFS setup and
    if you go to the ROOT locally on the server and look at
    all the links you have setup you can't browse into them no
    matter what the permissions are. So it looks like the data
    isn't actually copied to the machine, it's just a logical
    replica, not physical. Is this the case though? If I setup
    5 DFS links on one server and the 5 links are shares on 5
    different servers, does it actually put copies of the
    files on that DFSServer as well?

    -Ben

    Ben Freeman, Oct 2, 2003
  5. Dragon

    Dragon Guest

    I can't tell you on the top of my head how, but I believe there is a way to
    actually replication to files as well. you are right that when create a DFS
    and have 4-5 links to shares on different machines, they do not replicate
    the files themselves but I believe there is a way that you can have
    additional copies created with DFS.

    Sorry couldn't give you any specific information but you might be able to do
    a bit more research on DSF and find something good.

    Dragon, Oct 3, 2003