Re: Making only the dark areas lighter?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Peter Jones, Jul 11, 2003.

  1. Peter Jones

    Peter Jones Guest

    Thanks - that is so cool! I've added it to my PhotoPaint 8 script I
    use to create images for my web site. Using a script ot process large
    numbers of images is the only way to go! Here's a snapshot of the
    dialog for mine:

    http://www.SuperNaturalWoman.com/pmjimageconv.jpg

    Peter

    On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 11:15:37 -0400, "Aaron Bredon"
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 22:52:37 +0000, Tony Whitaker wrote:
    >> (Bruno Melli) wrote in
    >>
    >>> Did you try Bill's suggestion ?
    >>> (Duplicate layer, set blend mode to screen, and move the opacity slider)

    >> Thanks for that info. That is quite easy to do, but it does affect the
    >> whole image. That's the problem I was having with all other things I tried
    >> that didn't require selecting an area of the image. It seems that if you
    >> use a tool that works on the whole image, and you try to lighten the dark
    >> parts, there's no way to leave the bright parts entirely untouched.

    >Try this:
    >Duplicate the layer. Invert and apply a large-radius Gaussian blur to the
    >duplicate layer. Set the blend mode to Overlay. This technique will only
    >brighten when the inverted image is brighter than the original, so it will
    >only lighten the darker parts of the image.
    >
    >see these web pages for more details and tips:
    >http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/contrast_masking.shtml
    >http://www.outbackphoto.com/workshop/photoshop_corner/essay_06/essay.html
    >http://members.lycos.co.uk/insanityphotos/tnt.htm

    Digital Photography Reference
    http://members.shaw.ca/jonespm2/PJDigPhot.htm
    Touchup, an image viewing applet (also shows EXIF)
    http://members.shaw.ca/jonespm2/software.htm
    Health, happiness and healing
    http://www.SuperNaturalWoman.com

    Peter Jones, Jul 11, 2003