Re: Making large prints from small digital files

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tony Whitaker, Jul 11, 2003.

  1. "Click" <> wrote in

    > It seems that they use programs like 'Genuine Fractals' by Altamira to do
    > this. Has anyone had any experience with this product ...

    Here are some scans from a 16"x20" print I had made from a 3megapixel image
    I took using my Canon S230:
    http://www.mindspring.com/~focalfire/DigitalvsFilm.html

    I had thought Harris Camera told me they used "Real Fractals", but, later,
    I found out there is no such program named "Real Fractals". But they
    definitely told me the digital image was enhanced with a fractals program -
    probably "Genuine Fractals".

    Whether this is good enough for you, I can't say, but *I* was impressed
    with the results. You can see what the fractals program did if you download
    the original .jpeg file and compare it to the scanned print snippets.

    And, IMO, the 3megapixel image looks better than the ASA 100 35mm film
    image, which looks VERY grainy enlarged to 16"x20". People forget that 35mm
    negatives aren't magic either. There are limits to how big an enlargement
    you can make from them and get good results too.

    Tony Whitaker, Jul 11, 2003