Re: Making a jpeg look better than it really is?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Frank ess, Feb 10, 2007.

  1. Frank ess

    Frank ess Guest

    Frank ess wrote:
    > David J Taylor wrote:

    >> []

    >> Paint Shop Pro has functions which can help remove JPEG artefacts,
    >> but it can't perform magic. It's a PC/Windows program.
    >>
    >> David

    > I've read a suggestion that scaling up a small image by several
    > times,
    > applying judicious blur and other corrections then reducing to a
    > size
    > useful for printing can produce "pretty good" results where previous
    > attempts were unsatisfactory.
    >
    > It may be worth stair-stepping to 4800x6400 in 10% increments,
    > manipulating a bit, then stair-stepping down to 2400x3200 for your
    > prints.
    >
    > For those who use Photo Shop, I swear by Hoon Im's utility:
    > http://www.imphotography.com/downloads/ssimagesize.htm
    > It installs itself on the Automate menu, and operates painlessly and
    > well.
    >
    > My friend the movie actor liked one shot I made couple weeks ago on
    > set; unfortunately the "head shot" he wants is just a small
    > percentage
    > of the whole frame (even smaller [and brighter] than the example,
    > below), so I had to crop and inflate-deflate. I'll pick up the test
    > versions from Costco this afternoon. Here's hoping ...
    > http://www.fototime.com/FDB41D7D9EC0561/orig.jpg

    Well, close inspection of the JPEG file looks pretty lousy, but the
    8x10s look not bad, and the 4x6s as good as you'd expect from a P&S
    camera. Seems to me.

    Look for y'selves to see size in the original frame, actual-size crop
    of frame messed-with and file like that sent to Costco:
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/2314AD86BB029D5

    Keep in mind that the actor (who "loved" the prints) will turn a print
    over to a reproduction service to make "8x10 glossies" for
    distribution to casting directors, etc. Judging by the examples of
    that genre I've seen -- looking like laser-prints -- these won't be
    all that bad.
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/2314AD86BB029D5

    For what it's worth.

    --
    Frank ess

    We either make ourselves happy or miserable.
    The amount of work is the same.
    —Carlos Casteneda, mystic and author (1925-1998)
    Frank ess, Feb 10, 2007