Re: Making a jpeg look better than it really is?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Frank ess, Feb 10, 2007.

  1. Frank ess

    Frank ess Guest

    Frank ess wrote:
    > David J Taylor wrote:

    >> []

    >> Paint Shop Pro has functions which can help remove JPEG artefacts,
    >> but it can't perform magic. It's a PC/Windows program.
    >> David

    > I've read a suggestion that scaling up a small image by several
    > times,
    > applying judicious blur and other corrections then reducing to a
    > size
    > useful for printing can produce "pretty good" results where previous
    > attempts were unsatisfactory.
    > It may be worth stair-stepping to 4800x6400 in 10% increments,
    > manipulating a bit, then stair-stepping down to 2400x3200 for your
    > prints.
    > For those who use Photo Shop, I swear by Hoon Im's utility:
    > It installs itself on the Automate menu, and operates painlessly and
    > well.
    > My friend the movie actor liked one shot I made couple weeks ago on
    > set; unfortunately the "head shot" he wants is just a small
    > percentage
    > of the whole frame (even smaller [and brighter] than the example,
    > below), so I had to crop and inflate-deflate. I'll pick up the test
    > versions from Costco this afternoon. Here's hoping ...

    Well, close inspection of the JPEG file looks pretty lousy, but the
    8x10s look not bad, and the 4x6s as good as you'd expect from a P&S
    camera. Seems to me.

    Look for y'selves to see size in the original frame, actual-size crop
    of frame messed-with and file like that sent to Costco:

    Keep in mind that the actor (who "loved" the prints) will turn a print
    over to a reproduction service to make "8x10 glossies" for
    distribution to casting directors, etc. Judging by the examples of
    that genre I've seen -- looking like laser-prints -- these won't be
    all that bad.

    For what it's worth.

    Frank ess

    We either make ourselves happy or miserable.
    The amount of work is the same.
    —Carlos Casteneda, mystic and author (1925-1998)
    Frank ess, Feb 10, 2007