Re: Maha charger and NiMH AA question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by y_p_w, Aug 19, 2003.

  1. y_p_w

    y_p_w Guest

    David Dyer-Bennet <> wrote in message news:<-b.net>...
    > (y_p_w) writes:
    >
    > > I broke down and got a Maha MHC401FS charger kit with 4
    > > Maha 2000 mAH batteries. I've been dissatisfied with my
    > > Rayovac PS3 charger. I charged some brand new Energizer
    > > 2100 mAH batteries in it - and they got really hot and took
    > > forever to charge. I figure that my batteries should take
    > > a fuller charge and should last longer with the Maha charger.

    > I've got that charger, and those batteries. NiMH batteries do get hot
    > when they're being charged, definitely. That's normal. The faster
    > they're charged, the hotter they get.

    Bad editing on my part. I just ordered the Maha charger and haven't
    received it yet. The batteries were getting hot on the Rayovac PS3.
    They were new Energizer AA's rated at 2100 mAH. I checked the
    voltage on them out of the package - 7 were around 1.25V, while one
    was at less than 1V.

    > You don't say what "forever" means to you. That charger has a "fast"
    > and "slow" setting (slide switch on the side). The fast setting is
    > somewhat hard on the batteries, and I haven't used it yet (glad to
    > have it for emergencies, though). The "slow" setting is kind of an
    > intermediate speed -- a few hours. I normally start charging at
    > night, so I never notice precisely when they finish.

    First - my fault for not making it clear that I was disappointed
    with the Rayovac charger. I ordered the Maha because I need a
    better charger.

    The PS3 is supposed to deliver 470mA X 4 output, although it can take
    up to 8 AA/AAA batteries (about half the rated current to each
    battery in that case?). The 2100 mAH Energizers were getting
    considerably hotter than other NiMH batteries I've tried in that
    charger. I figured that they already had a decent charge out of the
    package, and they weren't fully charged after almost 12 hours. So
    assuming the nominal capacity is accurate, I should expect a fully
    discharged battery to charge in about 9 (2100/235) hours. They were
    nearly as hot as I've gotten from charging a pair in my Sony fast
    charger (~1000 mA output). The problem with the Sony is that it'll
    probably reduce battery life and it only charges in pairs. I have
    some single/three cell devices.

    y_p_w, Aug 19, 2003

  2. y_p_w wrote:
    > charger. I figured that they already had a decent charge out of the
    > package, and they weren't fully charged after almost 12 hours. So

    Never assume that NiMh batteries have ANY charge in the package. They
    discharge while sitting on the shelf so after a month or two may be
    pretty much flat.

    Andrew McDonald, Aug 19, 2003

  3. y_p_w

    y_p_w Guest

    Andrew McDonald <> wrote in message news:<9Ao0b.714$>...
    > y_p_w wrote:
    > > charger. I figured that they already had a decent charge out of the
    > > package, and they weren't fully charged after almost 12 hours. So

    > Never assume that NiMh batteries have ANY charge in the package. They
    > discharge while sitting on the shelf so after a month or two may be
    > pretty much flat.

    Like I said - 7 of 8 of these new batteries had an open circuit
    voltage of at least 1.25V right out of the package. They weren't
    fully charged, but definitely weren't completely drained either. This
    particular Japanese manufacturer stamps the production date on all of
    their batteries. The date on these cells was 03-03 (March 2003).

    y_p_w, Aug 19, 2003