Re: Magnets on cases?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ian field, Jun 28, 2010.

  1. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 18:14:29 -0700, "nobody >"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>How does the magnetic field get INSIDE the hard drive?
    >>
    >>First;
    >>The computer case is steel (otherwise the refrigerator magnets wouldn't
    >>stick. That cuts a whole bunch of flux lines right there.
    >>
    >>Second;
    >>The case of the hard drive itself is a "pretty much" complete Faraday
    >>cage by itself.
    >>
    >>Just to prove this to a skeptic a few years ago, I placed one of those
    >>"pretty potent" ring ceramic magnets out of an oven magnetron right on
    >>top of a 100 meg Conner HD that was in use. 4 months, no problems noted.
    >>Admittedly this wasn't a true test, as the drive could have been
    >>catching and correcting minor miswrites.
    >>
    >>Those magnets used in data destruction are about a bazillion times
    >>stronger than even a "rather aggressive" fridgemag.

    > While that may or may not be true, I for one am not going to risk it.
    > You can do what you want with your computer, but me? Not going to take
    > the slightest chance.
    > --
    > To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious and .invalid from my e-mail
    > address.

    Back in the days of 20Mb miniscribe drives when there was no such thing as
    servowrite I used to cure virus infection with a pair of ceramic ring
    magnets from a magnetron, I had to clamp the drive between 2 magnets to get
    a strong enough field through the platters to wipe them, placing a single
    magnet on top of a running drive would certainly confuse it a bit but didn't
    completely erase the platters.

    ian field, Jun 28, 2010