Re: Magnets on cases?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by chuckcar, Jun 28, 2010.

  1. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote in

    > On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 18:14:29 -0700, "nobody >"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>How does the magnetic field get INSIDE the hard drive?
    >>
    >>First;
    >>The computer case is steel (otherwise the refrigerator magnets wouldn't
    >>stick. That cuts a whole bunch of flux lines right there.
    >>
    >>Second;
    >>The case of the hard drive itself is a "pretty much" complete Faraday
    >>cage by itself.
    >>
    >>Just to prove this to a skeptic a few years ago, I placed one of those
    >>"pretty potent" ring ceramic magnets out of an oven magnetron right on
    >>top of a 100 meg Conner HD that was in use. 4 months, no problems noted.
    >>Admittedly this wasn't a true test, as the drive could have been
    >>catching and correcting minor miswrites.
    >>
    >>Those magnets used in data destruction are about a bazillion times
    >>stronger than even a "rather aggressive" fridgemag.

    > While that may or may not be true, I for one am not going to risk it.
    > You can do what you want with your computer, but me? Not going to take
    > the slightest chance.

    Better unplug your computer speakers then. LOL.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jun 28, 2010

  2. chuckcar

    ian field Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 02:48:50 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Better unplug your computer speakers then. LOL.

    > Well, let's see - I put my nail clippers by my speakers. No go. The
    > case for the speakers provides enough 'distance' such that the nail
    > clippers aren't attracted to the speakers - technically the magnet of
    > the speakers.
    >
    > Second, my speakers are a good 4 feet from the case of my CPU.
    >
    > Any other st00pid comments you'd like to make, troll?
    > --
    > To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious and .invalid from my e-mail
    > address.

    I thought you were going to pick up on unplugging the speakers won't make
    them any less magnetic.

    Just as a point of interest, speakers manufactured for use in colout TVs are
    designed for especially low stray magnetic field to protect the CRT
    shadowmask, presumably this is not so high on the list of design priorities
    with HiFi speaker cabs.

    Back in the 20's & 30's when permanent magnet technology wasn't so good,
    speakers had a hefty field coil instead of a magnet - unplugging those would
    have made a difference.

    ian field, Jun 28, 2010