Re: Magnets on cases?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by wisdomkiller & pain, Jun 27, 2010.

  1. wrote:

    > I stopped by a friends house the other day and he wanted to show me his
    > new computer. I was tajen by surprise when I noticed he had a couple of
    > refrigerator type magnets on the side of his (apparently steel) case, a
    > couple holding notes, I asked him if he thought it was a good idea and
    > he said how strong could those magnets be? My question is how storng
    > does it take to screw things up? I just had to ask. Thanks.

    No danger at all. The metal case is a shield, the case of your harddrive
    is a 2nd one - and the distance in between even more so.
    It would need a *much* stronger magnetic field like that of a NMR scanner
    to really erase data.
    Of course, pinning your atm card (with the magnetic stripe) or one of
    these outdated floppy disks with a refrigerator magnet, would not be such
    a good idea - no shield in between and a much lower distance.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Jun 27, 2010