Re: MagicJack Question

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Baron, Apr 7, 2009.

  1. Baron

    Baron Guest

    Van Chocstraw wrote:

    > Ernie Willson wrote:
    >> I bought a MagicJack a while ago. It worked perfectly when connected
    >> to the USB port on the front of my computer. After a while I started
    >> getting a message to the effect that the device in the (front)USB
    >> port was unrecognized. I then put the Magicjack into another USB port
    >> (bask of the same computer) and it works.
    >>
    >> Can someone tell me how to get this thing to work with the first USB
    >> port, and tell me what is wrong?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> EJ in NJ

    > You can overload and burn out a USB port. They seem to have NO
    > protection. I have burned out a few on laptops.

    The USB port has fuse protection nowadays ! In the early days there was
    a choke in series with the +5 volt line that used to burn open circuit.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.
    Baron, Apr 7, 2009

  2. Baron

    Baron Guest

    Van Chocstraw wrote:

    > Baron wrote:
    >> Van Chocstraw wrote:

    >>> You can overload and burn out a USB port. They seem to have NO
    >>> protection. I have burned out a few on laptops.

    >> The USB port has fuse protection nowadays ! In the early days there
    >> was a choke in series with the +5 volt line that used to burn open
    >> circuit.
    >>

    > Fuse? where on the motherboard and you need a microscope to see it?
    > It's as good as dead if you can't replace the fuse.

    No you don't need a microscope ! If you look carefully at the
    motherboard around the USB socket area you should see one or more
    yellow components, about 6 or 7 mm square and 1mm or so thick ! That
    is a "Polyfuse" It is thermally triggered on over current and will
    self reset within 15 - 30 seconds.

    As far as the O/C choke is concerned I just used to replace them ! Its
    no big deal and I never needed a microscope... Though I would
    nowadays. :)

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.