Re: Macrovision won't die on Apex

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Stan, Nov 10, 2004.

  1. Stan

    Stan Guest

    "luminos" <> wrote:

    }"Stan" <> wrote:
    }> Hi...I'm looking into a technical problem for a friend (note to MPAA: he's
    }> in France where personal DVD copies are legal) who owns an APEX DVD
    }> player.
    }> Using the "secret" menu, he turned macrovision off & that has been fine.
    }>
    }> Lately, some movies act as if the macrovision is on, even though he has
    }> checked & it is still off ("Gladiator" is one of the movies).
    }>
    }> On geek.com (http://www.geek.com/features/apex/dvdapex600a_2.htm) one of
    }> the
    }> articles has a passing reference: "...As with Region Bypass, I've heard
    }> that some movies don't like it if you turn Macrovision off." Alas, the
    }> author doesn't get technical.
    }>...

    }Many DVDs have several types of Macrovision. This is typical behavior for
    }the Apex, and he is out of luck without hardware to detect all possible
    }macrovision formats.

    But the Macrovision signal isn't encoded in the DVD (at least that's what
    available tech lit says), it's a "bit" that is set to on or off which
    tells the DVD player to activate the macrovision circuitry. What type of
    macrovision exists within the DVD disc data stream?

    Stan.

    Stan, Nov 10, 2004

  2. Stan

    luminos Guest

    luminos, Nov 10, 2004

  3. Stan

    Stan Guest

    "luminos" <> wrote:

    }It is multilayered:
    }
    }http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_Scrambling_System
    }
    }
    }The Sima product GoDVD works to cover all the bases.

    The url you provided talks about encryption, NOT macrovision.

    Perhaps you gave the wrong url?

    To refresh, the original question was:
    }> Hi...I'm looking into a technical problem for a friend (note to MPAA: he's
    }> in France where personal DVD copies are legal) who owns an APEX DVD
    }> player.
    }> Using the "secret" menu, he turned macrovision off & that has been fine.
    }>
    }> Lately, some movies act as if the macrovision is on, even though he has
    }> checked & it is still off ("Gladiator" is one of the movies).
    }>
    }> On geek.com (http://www.geek.com/features/apex/dvdapex600a_2.htm) an
    }> article has a passing reference: "...As with Region Bypass, I've heard

    Stan, Nov 10, 2004
  4. Stan

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <1.net>,
    Stan <> wrote:
    >"luminos" <> wrote:
    >
    >}"Stan" <> wrote:
    >}> Hi...I'm looking into a technical problem for a friend (note to MPAA: he's
    >}> in France where personal DVD copies are legal) who owns an APEX DVD
    >}> player.
    >}> Using the "secret" menu, he turned macrovision off & that has been fine.
    >}>
    >}> Lately, some movies act as if the macrovision is on, even though he has
    >}> checked & it is still off ("Gladiator" is one of the movies).
    >}>
    >}> On geek.com (http://www.geek.com/features/apex/dvdapex600a_2.htm) one of
    >}> the
    >}> articles has a passing reference: "...As with Region Bypass, I've heard
    >}> that some movies don't like it if you turn Macrovision off." Alas, the
    >}> author doesn't get technical.
    >}>...
    >
    >}Many DVDs have several types of Macrovision. This is typical behavior for
    >}the Apex, and he is out of luck without hardware to detect all possible
    >}macrovision formats.
    >
    >But the Macrovision signal isn't encoded in the DVD (at least that's what
    >available tech lit says), it's a "bit" that is set to on or off which
    >tells the DVD player to activate the macrovision circuitry. What type of
    >macrovision exists within the DVD disc data stream?

    CGMS-A, which formalizes the placement of a copy-protection flag within
    the NTSC video stream.

    Mike S., Nov 11, 2004
  5. Stan

    Stan Guest

    In article <cmum4h$6fd$>, (Mike S.) wrote:
    }Stan <> wrote:
    }>But the Macrovision signal isn't encoded in the DVD (at least that's what
    }>available tech lit says), it's a "bit" that is set to on or off which
    }>tells the DVD player to activate the macrovision circuitry. What type of
    }>macrovision exists within the DVD disc data stream?
    }
    }CGMS-A, which formalizes the placement of a copy-protection flag within
    }the NTSC video stream.

    My understanding is that CGMS causes a 'copying not allowed' message on the
    recorder (if the VHS machine is so designed)...that message does not appear;
    rather, the color stiping of macrovision appears on the tape, as if the
    macrovision circuitry in the DVD becomes active, despite being turned off.

    Stan.

    Stan, Nov 11, 2004
  6. Stan

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <1.net>,
    Stan <> wrote:
    >In article <cmum4h$6fd$>, (Mike S.) wrote:
    >}Stan <> wrote:
    >}>But the Macrovision signal isn't encoded in the DVD (at least that's what
    >}>available tech lit says), it's a "bit" that is set to on or off which
    >}>tells the DVD player to activate the macrovision circuitry. What type of
    >}>macrovision exists within the DVD disc data stream?
    >}
    >}CGMS-A, which formalizes the placement of a copy-protection flag within
    >}the NTSC video stream.
    >
    >My understanding is that CGMS causes a 'copying not allowed' message on the
    >recorder (if the VHS machine is so designed)...that message does not appear;
    >rather, the color stiping of macrovision appears on the tape, as if the
    >macrovision circuitry in the DVD becomes active, despite being turned off.

    That's my understanding too.

    Mike S., Nov 11, 2004
  7. Stan

    Stan Guest

    (Mike S.) wrote:
    }Stan <> wrote:
    }>My understanding is that CGMS causes a 'copying not allowed' message on the
    }>recorder (if the VHS machine is so designed)...that message does not appear;
    }>rather, the color stiping of macrovision appears on the tape, as if the
    }>macrovision circuitry in the DVD becomes active, despite being turned off.
    }
    }That's my understanding too.

    Well then, a discussion of CGMS doesn't seem of use to the original
    thread, which was:
    }> Hi...I'm looking into a technical problem for a friend...who owns an APEX
    }> DVD player.
    }> Using the "secret" menu, he turned macrovision off & that has been fine.
    }>
    }> Lately, some movies act as if the macrovision is on, even though he has
    }> checked & it is still off ("Gladiator" is one of the movies).
    }>
    }> On geek.com (http://www.geek.com/features/apex/dvdapex600a_2.htm) an
    }> article has a passing reference: "...As with Region Bypass, I've heard
    }> that some movies don't like it if you turn Macrovision off." Alas, the
    }> author doesn't get technical.

    So, has anyone else run across this?

    Stan.

    Stan, Nov 12, 2004