Re: Macros

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PeterN, Mar 17, 2013.

  1. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 3/24/2013 1:16 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
> [...]
    > : > : >>>>> or two at a car show, but I'm not a big fan. Too many people standing
    > : > : >>>>> around the cars, the sun is never right for the shot I want, and I've
    > : > : >>>>> never been able to get my circular polarizer to do its thing.
    > : > : >>>>>
    > : > : >>>>> I went for the social aspect. Eight of us had a meal together and
    > : > : >>>>> chatted about photography. This smaller club is more social than the
    > : > : >>>>> larger club I belong to, but the larger club also has field trips.
    > : > : >>>>>
    > : > : >>>>> Here's why I don't like car shows:
    > : > : >>>>>
    > : > : >>>>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2013-03-16-75.jpg
    > : > : >>>>
    > : > : >>>> If you only take shots like that, I don't blame you. However, I am
    > : > : >>>> surprised that you don't see a lot of good Street shots at a car show,
    > : > : >>>> or any other street festival.
    > : > : >>>>
    > : > : >>>
    > : > : >>> Oh, I do. Like this:
    > : > : >>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Candids/i-nqnDgnx/0/L/2012-01-21-2G-L.jpg
    > : > : >>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Candids/i-RFB2zZP/0/L/2012-01-21-1G-L.jpg
    > : > : >>
    > : > : >> While I understand your enthusiasm for street shots, I have little
    > : > : >> personal appreciation of that genre.
    > : > : >> That being said, I like the last shot. Too bad the little boy was not in
    > : > : >> the upper right-hand corner. :)
    > : > : >
    > : > : > That whooshes me. The boy in the diaper? Why would it improve the
    > : > : > image if he was in the upper right corner?
    > : > : >>
    > : > : The fountains make interesting leading lines, that would go straight to
    > : > : the little boy. If you have CS6, try a content aware move.
    > : >
    > : > So what's he going to do? Perch on that palm tree?
    > : >
    > :
    > : Right between the fountains. Of course, he might look a tad smaller so
    > : as not to lose perspective.
    >
    > Er... I believe those things in the upper right corner are more like flagpoles
    > than fountains. Are you sure we're looking at the same picture?
    >
    > Or are you saying that the boy should go to the point on the patio that's
    > nearest the upper right corner (and between the flagpoles)? But now there's no
    > longer a fountain right in front of him, so the fact that he's looking down at
    > it makes no sense. Or do we just Photoshoppe another fountain in for him to
    > look at?
    >
    > What on earth is the point? The picture is perfectly satisfactory with the boy
    > where he is. It violates no rule of composition, not even the revered Rule of
    > Thirds.
    >
    > Hmmm. Looking back, I see a smiley on the original suggestion that I've been
    > ignoring. I've fallen for a joke, haven't I?

    Nope. I was serious. I have no compunctions about manipulating any
    image, if I think the image will be stronger.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Mar 24, 2013

  2. PeterN

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <ki5src$6sp$>, says...

    > "Rob" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Many judges would say: the hot spots are distracting; parts of the
    > >> creatures are outside the image area, etc.
    > >> Please note the above is not my impression, but is intended to be a
    > >> commentary of the weaknesses of camera club judging. I have often said
    > >> that Cartier-Bresson, would not do well in camera club competitions.
    > >>

    > > Agree with your comments, camera club judges are full of themselves on the
    > > night, nit picking, they can't correctly evaluate the elements of an image
    > > and ridicule the content. As an example some time ago had a image
    > > evaluated and the comment was the horizon was not straight, funny about
    > > that it had lens curvature. Another example was architecture, where
    > > verticals should be vertical or over over emphasised, looking up at a tall
    > > building, the judge picked on one as not vertical which should have been,
    > > but there were 2 others out of whack as well, but no criticism of the fact
    > > but given awards!
    > >
    > > I have even pointed out plagiarism of images and part images, to the
    > > committee, ripped off the web, and they have condoned the use of such
    > > images, to the extent where the image has been best in section. I was
    > > being a pain in the arse to them.
    > >
    > > I'm sure other images being presented in competitions, were not setup or
    > > photographed by the author, as they didn't show a consistent standard of
    > > such photographer compare with there other submissions.
    > >
    > > What does amaze me is the judges will critique an image but can't explain
    > > why or give their opinion how to rectify the perceived fault.
    > >
    > > One particular night there was this judge who insisted using "Um" all the
    > > time, this irritates me as its them catching up with their thoughts,
    > > anyhow this was so annoying that I started to count the number of time she
    > > used "Um" and the intervals between. Results basically, 700, at 20 second
    > > intervals, yep - over 3 hour period.
    > > What a long boring night that turned out to be.
    > >
    > > Camera clubs live in there own little world and stay in a rut.

    > The real question is why you would bother then rather than get out and take
    > pictures for your own pleasure, and/or paying clients, rather than approval
    > from stupid camera club judges?

    It's not a matter of "approval", it's a matter of soliciting the advice
    of others to improve your own work. You're not obligated to take that
    advice, but having it can be helpful.

    J. Clarke, May 8, 2013

  3. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/8/2013 10:58 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
    > In article <ki5src$6sp$>, says...
    >>
    >> "Rob" <> wrote in message

    >>> Agree with your comments, camera club judges are full of themselves on the
    >>> night, nit picking, they can't correctly evaluate the elements of an image
    >>> and ridicule the content. As an example some time ago had a image
    >>> evaluated and the comment was the horizon was not straight, funny about
    >>> that it had lens curvature. Another example was architecture, where
    >>> verticals should be vertical or over over emphasised, looking up at a tall
    >>> building, the judge picked on one as not vertical which should have been,
    >>> but there were 2 others out of whack as well, but no criticism of the fact
    >>> but given awards!
    >>>
    >>> I have even pointed out plagiarism of images and part images, to the
    >>> committee, ripped off the web, and they have condoned the use of such
    >>> images, to the extent where the image has been best in section. I was
    >>> being a pain in the arse to them.
    >>>
    >>> I'm sure other images being presented in competitions, were not setup or
    >>> photographed by the author, as they didn't show a consistent standard of
    >>> such photographer compare with there other submissions.
    >>>
    >>> What does amaze me is the judges will critique an image but can't explain
    >>> why or give their opinion how to rectify the perceived fault.
    >>>
    >>> One particular night there was this judge who insisted using "Um" all the
    >>> time, this irritates me as its them catching up with their thoughts,
    >>> anyhow this was so annoying that I started to count the number of time she
    >>> used "Um" and the intervals between. Results basically, 700, at 20 second
    >>> intervals, yep - over 3 hour period.
    >>> What a long boring night that turned out to be.
    >>>
    >>> Camera clubs live in there own little world and stay in a rut.

    >> The real question is why you would bother then rather than get out and take
    >> pictures for your own pleasure, and/or paying clients, rather than approval
    >> from stupid camera club judges?

    > It's not a matter of "approval", it's a matter of soliciting the advice
    > of others to improve your own work. You're not obligated to take that
    > advice, but having it can be helpful.

    Spot on. Many photographic masterpieces, would not score well in CC
    competitions. There are members who prepare images solely for CC
    competitions. If that is what they want, than I say fine, but as you
    correctly point out, there's a lot more to camera clubs than just
    competitions. Here is an image that I like, but did not do well in CC
    competition. But, I still like it.

    <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/swooper.jpg>

    --
    PeterN