Re: Macro lens without image stabilization: foolish purchase?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Robert Coe, Oct 2, 2011.

  1. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 20:53:56 -0400, don tuttle <> wrote:
    : I have a Canon EOS 550D and am considering the EFS 60mm F2.8 macro
    : lens. It does not have image stabilization.
    : How foolish is it to buy a macro lens without image stabilization?
    : Thanks.
    : Don

    My wife has a version of that lens from three or four years ago and loves it.
    She gets fine pictures with it on her T2i (which I believe is the same as a
    550D). She's 70 years old, but has a steady grip; the lens's lack of IS hasn't
    been a problem.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Oct 2, 2011

  2. Robert Coe

    PeterN Guest

    On 10/2/2011 8:55 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 20:53:56 -0400, don tuttle<> wrote:
    > : I have a Canon EOS 550D and am considering the EFS 60mm F2.8 macro
    > : lens. It does not have image stabilization.
    > : How foolish is it to buy a macro lens without image stabilization?
    > : Thanks.
    > : Don
    >
    > My wife has a version of that lens from three or four years ago and loves it.
    > She gets fine pictures with it on her T2i (which I believe is the same as a
    > 550D). She's 70 years old, but has a steady grip; the lens's lack of IS hasn't
    > been a problem.
    >
    > Bob

    I think I said this before, if so I apologize.

    I turn of the stabilization for birds & other wildlife. (it seems to
    lock focus a tad faster, I admit I took no measurements.) And also for
    landscapes and closeup, where I use a tripod and/or flash.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Oct 3, 2011

  3. Robert Coe

    Wally Guest

    On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 19:17:39 -0400, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    >I turn of the stabilization for birds & other wildlife. (it seems to
    >lock focus a tad faster, I admit I took no measurements.)

    Why??

    Wally

    Wally, Oct 3, 2011
  4. Robert Coe

    PeterN Guest

    On 10/2/2011 8:49 PM, Wally wrote:
    > On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 19:17:39 -0400, PeterN
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I turn of the stabilization for birds& other wildlife. (it seems to
    >> lock focus a tad faster, I admit I took no measurements.)

    > Why??
    >
    > Wally

    Thought I said why. The focus seems to lock faster. I shoot at a high
    ISO in daylight. Some examples, hand held, VR turned off.

    <http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/128639023>
    or
    <http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/132946690>

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Oct 4, 2011
  5. Robert Coe

    PeterN Guest

    On 10/4/2011 5:12 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
    > On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 20:16:38 -0400, PeterN
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 10/2/2011 8:49 PM, Wally wrote:

    >>> Why??
    >>>
    >>> Wally

    >> Thought I said why. The focus seems to lock faster. I shoot at a high
    >> ISO in daylight. Some examples, hand held, VR turned off.
    >>

    >> <http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/128639023>
    >> or
    >> <http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/132946690>

    > It looks as though a masking error did something peculiar to the legs
    > of the upper Heron.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Eric Stevens

    Thanks, I never noticed that. I just looked at the image and see my
    mistake. You have just illustrated the value of a critique.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Oct 4, 2011