Re: Macro and High res woes

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dick, Jun 29, 2003.

  1. Dick

    Dick Guest

    Aloha Tesselatoe thnak you for your kind repply and to answer your question
    what I will be using The camera for, Macro shots esthetic picture shots of
    hawaii moments that I feel awe for. And Since I am an artistic creative
    person ideas for use will come when the oportunities present themselve. I am
    learning to design web sites possibly if I get good at it I may design them
    for others. for now I know I could get by withna 2MP camera except for Macro
    work. and I wondered what Cameras out ther do good macrowork other than
    olimpus .

    > > The Olympus C-4000 4MP has a wonderful Macro feature going to about one

    inch
    > > to take a shot of a bee. The C4040 4.1 MP, suposedly a super set of the
    > > C-4000 does not have that super Macro and begins near 8". The new C5050
    > > 5MPhowever is outfited with that macro of near 1".
    > > So either I seek the C4000 4MP or the C5050 at 5MP.
    > > What other cameras have such a Macro near 1" ?

    > Many (all?) models in the CoolPix line have 4cm or less in macro mode.
    >

    > > This News group seems very focused near the 3MP. I have read all your

    posts
    > > comparing te A40/A60/A70 With te Nikon 2100/3100 looked at the pictures,

    but
    > > have no such input for the C4000 Olympus nor any for the C5050 to see if

    > > would ever need such resolutions of 4MP/5MP and the expense of them.

    > It's probably just a result of the depth of the average consumers
    > pocket-book. Both the 4040 and the 5050 are excellent cameras I will
    > buy a 5050 soon I think to add to my collection. Don't be put off by
    > the working range of a camera's macro mode which in the 4040 is 0.2 - 0.8

    > but rather focus your attention of the level of magnification it is
    > capable of. I would much rather have a working range of a foot or more
    > if I could still get the same magnification as a macro engeneered to
    > operate at minute distances.
    >
    > As far as the expense and usefulness of a 5MP unit I guess you alone
    > can answer that. What will you be using the camera for? etc.
    >

    > > I welcome suggestions beands and models to look at and consider. And the
    > > advice of where to limit the quality persuits (weakness) I or many of

    you
    > > may have :).
    > > What to do what to do....hmmmmm
    > >
    > > Dick in Hawaii

    > Someone should make a FAQ if there isn't one already, of the "ideal"
    > features to look for in a digital camera. Like:
    >
    > The ability to go manual in as many aspects as possible.
    > The ability to store and transfer uncompressed images.
    > The ability to add attachements (PC, Hotshoe, Tripod mount, lens filters,

    etc.)
    > Readable LCD menus
    > Tilt/Rotate/Swivel LCD Pannels.
    > All glass (coated) lens elements.
    > Other than plastic body frame,
    > USB or Serial Camera Control via computer or etc. (other than downloading)
    > Etc.
    > Etc.
    > Etc.
    >

    > And thier _simple_ respective explaination. Like:
    >
    > USB/Ser. Cam. Control -- Will allow you to to create ultra hi res stop

    motion
    > and time-laps motion sequences.
    >
    > Non-Plastic Cam Body -- Will save you a trip to the repair shop if you

    drop

    Dick, Jun 29, 2003