Re: Mac Security vs. Windows Security

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Tony Sivori, Oct 28, 2003.

  1. Tony Sivori

    Tony Sivori Guest

    smackedass wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I've heard people say that Macs are more inherently secure than Windows
    > boxes because the Mac OS is better designed than a Windows OS and allows
    > fewer security flaws.

    Anything is better than Microsoft Windows security. Mac, Linux, Unix,
    BeOS, take your pick.

    > On the other hand, I've heard it said that the only reason that Macs are
    > less prone to viruses and other hostile code is because nobody wastes
    > their time trying to defeat Macs; it would be a waste of time attempting
    > to attack so few computers.

    Especially so since they have better security.

    Anyway, there is an emerging new breed of malware writer who writes for
    profit. They use worms and Trojans to do things like using a broadband
    connected PC for a spam server. This type would be likely to cheerfully
    attempt to exploit any OS that is numerous. .

    The more typical virus / worm creator is an adolescent or young adult male
    who does it for several reasons. He enjoys breaking things (vandalizing),
    and in doing so he gets an ego boost and the recognition of his peers. But
    mostly he does it from adolescent rebellion against authority, ie,
    "sticking it to the man."

    For that reason, the largest, richest software company on earth which is
    headed by the richest man on earth is a natural target and will remain so.
    Smaller and decentralized, and no matter how popular it may become, an OS
    like Linux is likely to never attract the same disdain of rebellious
    adolescents that a rich monopoly like Microsoft does. And there are far
    fewer vulnerabilities to exploit in non-Microsoft OSes

    --
    Tony Sivori

    Tony Sivori, Oct 28, 2003