Re: Mac Security vs. Windows Security

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Ghost, Oct 28, 2003.

  1. Ghost

    Ghost Guest

    In article <OHfnb.6471$>,
    "smackedass" <> wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I've heard people say that Macs are more inherently secure than Windows
    > boxes because the Mac OS is better designed than a Windows OS and allows
    > fewer security flaws. On the other hand, I've heard it said that the only
    > reason that Macs are less prone to viruses and other hostile code is because
    > nobody wastes their time trying to defeat Macs; it would be a waste of time
    > attempting to attack so few computers.
    >
    > Any thoughts?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > smackedass

    Actually, it is a combination of both. Macs ARE tougher to write code
    for, and also do not have the inherent flaws M$ has- and also fewer people
    try.

    Keep this in mind- there are a TON of script kiddies out there. These are
    not true hackers- they are wannabe's using someone elses executable code
    to defeat M$ or Unix systems. They do not have the skillset to actually
    do anything themselves.

    That leaves the real hackers out there who actually CAN do things. Most
    of them know nothing of Mac programming- so therefore are not effective
    against Macs. The few that can code for Mac find it very difficult to
    exploit whatever flaws they might find- and there are damned few of them
    compared to M$.

    The above is not as true for Macs OSX which is Unix based.

    Ghost, Oct 28, 2003