Re: MAC Pc

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Metric Jester, Jul 31, 2004.

  1. On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 21:49:00 GMT, Doug Scott <> wrote:

    >Raymond,
    >
    >> just another question, apple computer does not sell people their mboard and
    >> and cpu, but people must buy the whole system put together by apple right?

    >Exactly. They retain control of the entire production process. The result is
    >a clean machine with few interfacing problems and cheaper (for them) software
    >development costs. But that's what kept Apple out of the mainstream - they
    >wouldn't let anybody else compete with them.
    >

    >---
    >
    >Doug

    Yeah, the above is true, Apple was kept out of the mainstream home use
    because wouldn't share, but Apple's choice of purity over proliference
    has also led it to be the one true leader in some rather unique niches
    such as the graphic arts, sound recording, video editing, among
    others. I personally think Apple has done a really good thing with
    the Macs, at first they were too exclusive (how do you upgrade a Mac
    Classic?), but lately they've been making them more open by using
    Laser Printers in the 80s, SCSI in the 90s, and right now they use
    PCI, AGP, SDRAM, FireWire, USB 2.0, and Serial ATA which
    coincidentally are all used in PCs anyway.

    Oddly enough it's been said many times that Apple is going to go the
    way of Commodore because they made similar mistakes (anyone remember
    the Amiga? Commodore's answer to the Mac? It had a double
    motherboard, half PC half Commodore. VERY exclusive.
    Technologically, the Amiga was more advanced than all the others and
    should have won the GUI wars, instead of the tie between Microsoft and
    Apple). I've found that almost every time someone on TV predicts
    Apple's downfall, somebody or some exclusive product saves Apple
    (remeber PageMaker? 16-bit colour OS? Photoshop? power mac? quicktime?
    the iMac and the iPod?).

    And what about IBM in all of this? Well they started out VERY open.
    so open in fact that they shipped the technical specs with the
    machine. IBM even encouraged new PC owners to "play" with them. They
    stopped doing the open thing with the PS/1 and PS/2 because they found
    out the hard way that it's really hard to make money when everybody
    else knows how to make your "unique" product. But here IBM made a
    little mistake. they closed up the PS/1 and PS/2 way too much. The
    CPUs were standard Intels, but everything else was not up to code. In
    fact you werent even able to upgrade some PS/1s in some areas becuase
    of lack of parts (I checked, nada). Same with that Operating Software
    they made for the PS/2. what was it called, oh yeah OS/2
    (intelligence and creativity don't always go hand in hand). Wonderful
    GUI OS, but terrible on non-IBMs (poor driver and hardware support).
    I liked OS/2 even more than GEOS 2.0 (the easiest GUI I ever used),
    but not as much as Workbench (for the Commodore Amiga).

    Sorry for the history lesson, but I couldn't help but show off my
    knowledge, especially since I'm only 23 years old and had to find all
    of this stuff out from old magazines, papers, documentaries, and what
    I like to call a "romp in the past" where I'll plug in one of those
    old systems like my VIC-20 (complete w/ tape deck) or the 2 Commodore
    Amigas I keep chained in the basement (Amigas are rare and expensive
    to fix) or that PS/1 Model 150 I reclaimed and (re)learn the system.
    To this day I wish I never upgraded my PC-XT clone. I don't think
    I'll ever find another one. It even had a 3-inch tall 20 MB Hard
    drive.
    Metric Jester, Jul 31, 2004

  2. On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 03:59:42 -0400, Metric Jester
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 21:49:00 GMT, Doug Scott <> wrote:
    >
    >>Raymond,
    >>
    >>> just another question, apple computer does not sell people their mboard and
    >>> and cpu, but people must buy the whole system put together by apple right?

    >>Exactly. They retain control of the entire production process. The result is
    >>a clean machine with few interfacing problems and cheaper (for them) software
    >>development costs. But that's what kept Apple out of the mainstream - they
    >>wouldn't let anybody else compete with them.
    >>

    >>---
    >>
    >>Doug
    >>

    >Yeah, the above is true, Apple was kept out of the mainstream home use
    >because wouldn't share, but Apple's choice of purity over proliference
    >has also led it to be the one true leader in some rather unique niches
    >such as the graphic arts, sound recording, video editing, among
    >others. I personally think Apple has done a really good thing with
    >the Macs, at first they were too exclusive (how do you upgrade a Mac
    >Classic?), but lately they've been making them more open by using
    >Laser Printers in the 80s, SCSI in the 90s, and right now they use
    >PCI, AGP, SDRAM, FireWire, USB 2.0, and Serial ATA which
    >coincidentally are all used in PCs anyway.

    Sony Beta comes to mind...the best quality video tape format, and VHS
    won.

    >Oddly enough it's been said many times that Apple is going to go the
    >way of Commodore because they made similar mistakes (anyone remember
    >the Amiga? Commodore's answer to the Mac? It had a double
    >motherboard, half PC half Commodore. VERY exclusive.
    >Technologically, the Amiga was more advanced than all the others and
    >should have won the GUI wars, instead of the tie between Microsoft and
    >Apple). I've found that almost every time someone on TV predicts
    >Apple's downfall, somebody or some exclusive product saves Apple
    >(remeber PageMaker? 16-bit colour OS? Photoshop? power mac? quicktime?
    >the iMac and the iPod?).
    >
    >And what about IBM in all of this? Well they started out VERY open.
    >so open in fact that they shipped the technical specs with the
    >machine. IBM even encouraged new PC owners to "play" with them. They
    >stopped doing the open thing with the PS/1 and PS/2 because they found
    >out the hard way that it's really hard to make money when everybody
    >else knows how to make your "unique" product. But here IBM made a
    >little mistake. they closed up the PS/1 and PS/2 way too much. The
    >CPUs were standard Intels, but everything else was not up to code. In
    >fact you werent even able to upgrade some PS/1s in some areas becuase
    >of lack of parts (I checked, nada). Same with that Operating Software
    >they made for the PS/2. what was it called, oh yeah OS/2
    >(intelligence and creativity don't always go hand in hand). Wonderful
    >GUI OS, but terrible on non-IBMs (poor driver and hardware support).
    >I liked OS/2 even more than GEOS 2.0 (the easiest GUI I ever used),
    >but not as much as Workbench (for the Commodore Amiga).

    Compaq? They started the clone movement when IBM's proprietary aspect
    shut things down, didn't they? How THAT has changed... :)

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jul 31, 2004