Re: MAC Address and Logical Router Interface

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by bod43, Nov 6, 2008.

  1. bod43

    bod43 Guest

    On 5 Nov, 22:59, Graham Drabble <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Do all the logical interfaces on a physical Ether interface have the
    > same MAC address? If not how is the MAC address for eahc logical
    > interface defined?

    Well, why don't you configure it and have a look?
    I suppose you are asking a theoretical question?

    Usually it will not matter of they are the same. The different
    VLANs do not usually end up being connected so no
    conflict occurs.

    It is of course possible that some requirement
    might result in the vlans being connected by a
    cable somewhere in the network. This could
    result in communication failures.

    One related thing is that by default Sun workstations
    use the same MAC address for all of the interfaces
    in the device. This usually works OK since the
    different interfaces are not usually in the same
    broadcast domain.
    bod43, Nov 6, 2008