Re: Lytro

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tony cooper, Mar 14, 2012.

  1. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 21:22:51 -0500, Dave <Dave@l-e-i> wrote:

    >> Now, my project:

    >> At least once a year my wife and I go to Manhattan...to have fun of
    >> the streets and get random and candid shots of people.

    >> Even with my good, auto-focus camera, the shots happen so fast
    >> most of them end up focusing on something other than what I was trying
    >> for. With the Lytro at least I should have the ability to focus "after
    >> the fact" and expect to get a better number of decent shots.

    >> Anyway once I get the results I'll post back here
    >> and all those who are curious will find out what the camera can really do.

    >That's what I miss most about cities- people pics. It looks like the unit will be
    >perfect for this type-- forgiving for those off-the-cuff shots.
    >
    >Looking forward to seeing what you produce!
    >
    >Also looking forward to what becomes of this technology.
    >
    >Me, I just spent $400+ on a new washing machine and a disappointing
    >spin on the computer where several of my DSLR shots were a tiny shade
    >OOF from last week's people shoot.

    If you like to photograph interesting people, now is the time to come
    Florida. Bike Week!

    Shot Sunday:
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-MNZChfT/0/XL/2012-03-11-98-XL.jpg
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Mar 14, 2012

  2. tony cooper

    philo Guest

    On 03/13/2012 11:10 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 21:22:51 -0500, Dave<Dave@l-e-i> wrote:
    >

    >> Also looking forward to what becomes of this technology.
    >>
    >> Me, I just spent $400+ on a new washing machine and a disappointing
    >> spin on the computer where several of my DSLR shots were a tiny shade
    >> OOF from last week's people shoot.

    > If you like to photograph interesting people, now is the time to come
    > Florida. Bike Week!
    >
    > Shot Sunday:
    > http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-MNZChfT/0/XL/2012-03-11-98-XL.jpg

    Latest update:

    My Lytro is scheduled to arrive on Monday.

    I have a friend who is willing to let me load the software on his Mac
    and test out the camera.

    If it works well I will probably end up buying a Mac
    as I doubt I'd be able to wait for the Windows software to arrive .
    (I am a Linux user and there is no likelihood software will be avail for
    that at all)
    philo, Mar 18, 2012

  3. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 3/18/2012 3:00 PM, philo wrote:
    > On 03/13/2012 11:10 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    >> On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 21:22:51 -0500, Dave<Dave@l-e-i> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Also looking forward to what becomes of this technology.
    >>>
    >>> Me, I just spent $400+ on a new washing machine and a disappointing
    >>> spin on the computer where several of my DSLR shots were a tiny shade
    >>> OOF from last week's people shoot.

    >> If you like to photograph interesting people, now is the time to come
    >> Florida. Bike Week!
    >>
    >> Shot Sunday:
    >> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-MNZChfT/0/XL/2012-03-11-98-XL.jpg
    >>

    > Latest update:
    >
    > My Lytro is scheduled to arrive on Monday.
    >
    > I have a friend who is willing to let me load the software on his Mac
    > and test out the camera.
    >
    > If it works well I will probably end up buying a Mac
    > as I doubt I'd be able to wait for the Windows software to arrive .
    > (I am a Linux user and there is no likelihood software will be avail for
    > that at all)

    Getting ancy <G>
    Let us know,

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Mar 18, 2012
  4. On 3/18/2012 3:00 PM, philo wrote:
    > On 03/13/2012 11:10 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    >> On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 21:22:51 -0500, Dave<Dave@l-e-i> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Also looking forward to what becomes of this technology.
    >>>
    >>> Me, I just spent $400+ on a new washing machine and a disappointing
    >>> spin on the computer where several of my DSLR shots were a tiny shade
    >>> OOF from last week's people shoot.

    >> If you like to photograph interesting people, now is the time to come
    >> Florida. Bike Week!
    >>
    >> Shot Sunday:
    >> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-MNZChfT/0/XL/2012-03-11-98-XL.jpg
    >>

    > Latest update:
    >
    > My Lytro is scheduled to arrive on Monday.
    >
    > I have a friend who is willing to let me load the software on his Mac
    > and test out the camera.
    >
    > If it works well I will probably end up buying a Mac
    > as I doubt I'd be able to wait for the Windows software to arrive .
    > (I am a Linux user and there is no likelihood software will be avail for
    > that at all)

    Please keep us (especially me :)) informed. I'm in the same position as
    you and don't want to make a complete switch to Apple even if I *can*
    use Macs owned by by relatives.

    --
    Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

    Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
    James Silverton, Mar 18, 2012
  5. tony cooper

    philo Guest

    On 03/18/2012 02:54 PM, PeterN wrote:
    > On 3/18/2012 3:00 PM, philo wrote:
    >> On
    >>
    >> Latest update:
    >>
    >> My Lytro is scheduled to arrive on Monday.
    >>
    >> I have a friend who is willing to let me load the software on his Mac
    >> and test out the camera.
    >>
    >> If it works well I will probably end up buying a Mac
    >> as I doubt I'd be able to wait for the Windows software to arrive .
    >> (I am a Linux user and there is no likelihood software will be avail for
    >> that at all)

    > Getting ancy <G>
    > Let us know,

    As soon as I have results I will post back and let everyone know
    and show some sample photos
    philo, Mar 18, 2012
  6. tony cooper

    philo Guest

    On 03/18/2012 03:21 PM, James Silverton wrote:
    > On 3/18/2012 3:00 PM, philo wrote:
    >> On 0
    >>

    >> Latest update:
    >>
    >> My Lytro is scheduled to arrive on Monday.
    >>
    >> I have a friend who is willing to let me load the software on his Mac
    >> and test out the camera.
    >>
    >> If it works well I will probably end up buying a Mac
    >> as I doubt I'd be able to wait for the Windows software to arrive .
    >> (I am a Linux user and there is no likelihood software will be avail for
    >> that at all)

    > Please keep us (especially me :)) informed. I'm in the same position as
    > you and don't want to make a complete switch to Apple even if I *can*
    > use Macs owned by by relatives.

    I was so anxious to try out a Lytro I bought one even though I do not
    own a new enough Mac. I have an iMac that someone gave me...but the OS
    is way too old to run the Lytro software. My main machines run Linux
    (but I do have an XP machine) and my wife uses XP_64bit

    I do not mind spending money but am really having problems
    psychologically , with the thought of buying a new machine. I always
    make them myself or else fix up old junk people give me.

    Now, with the camera coming on Monday my mind actually started to work
    so I posted on Facebook knowing that one of my friends must have a new
    enough Mac and also curious about the new Lytro.

    Now, if the Lytro does the job for me I probably will actually just buy
    a Mini-Mac. If I get it I'll replace an old laptop in my house that has
    a permanent place on a desk. (The battery died five years ago)

    There is also a possibility that if my friend does not mind me coming
    over once or twice a month, I may wait for Lytro to come out with the
    Windows software.
    philo, Mar 18, 2012
  7. tony cooper

    philo Guest

    On 03/18/2012 04:33 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2012-03-18 16:21 , James Silverton wrote:

    >>> Latest update:
    >>>
    >>> My Lytro is scheduled to arrive on Monday.
    >>>
    >>> I have a friend who is willing to let me load the software on his Mac
    >>> and test out the camera.
    >>>
    >>> If it works well I will probably end up buying a Mac
    >>> as I doubt I'd be able to wait for the Windows software to arrive .
    >>> (I am a Linux user and there is no likelihood software will be avail for
    >>> that at all)

    >> Please keep us (especially me :)) informed. I'm in the same position as
    >> you and don't want to make a complete switch to Apple

    > You can likely pick up a cheapish ($350 - $400) mac mini from craigslist
    > (just make sure it's an intel version). With that and a cheap screen,
    > keyboard and mouse you're good to go and you can maintain your Windows
    > habit.
    >
    > When the windows v. comes out, sell the mac mini on craigslist (after
    > copying off the images of course...).

    I've looked on both Craig's list and eBay and a new Mini-Mac costs only
    slightly more than a used one...so if I get one I figure I might was
    well get a new one. If I do get it...it will be replacing a 12 year old
    machine
    philo, Mar 18, 2012
  8. tony cooper

    philo Guest

    On 03/18/2012 03:58 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2012-03-18 15:00 , philo wrote:
    >>
    >> My Lytro is scheduled to arrive on Monday.
    >>
    >> I have a friend who is willing to let me load the software on his Mac
    >> and test out the camera.
    >>
    >> If it works well I will probably end up buying a Mac
    >> as I doubt I'd be able to wait for the Windows software to arrive .
    >> (I am a Linux user and there is no likelihood software will be avail for
    >> that at all)

    > I look forward to it. Where was your SI contribution, by the way? (Never
    > too late).

    What's an "SI" contribution?
    philo, Mar 18, 2012
  9. tony cooper

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    > When the windows v. comes out, sell the mac mini on craigslist (after
    > copying off the images of course...).

    or just reboot it into windows.
    nospam, Mar 18, 2012
  10. tony cooper

    philo Guest

    On 03/18/2012 05:00 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2012-03-18 17:48 , philo wrote:
    >> On 03/18/2012 04:33 PM, Alan Browne wrote:

    >>> You can likely pick up a cheapish ($350 - $400) mac mini from craigslist
    >>> (just make sure it's an intel version). With that and a cheap screen,
    >>> keyboard and mouse you're good to go and you can maintain your Windows
    >>> habit.
    >>>
    >>> When the windows v. comes out, sell the mac mini on craigslist (after
    >>> copying off the images of course...).
    >>>

    >> I've looked on both Craig's list and eBay and a new Mini-Mac costs only
    >> slightly more than a used one...so if I get one I figure I might was
    >> well get a new one. If I do get it...it will be replacing a 12 year old
    >> machine

    > You won't know what hit you!
    >
    > They do hold their value...

    I am sure that if I am "forced" into buying a Mac
    there will be no complaints!
    philo, Mar 18, 2012
  11. tony cooper

    philo Guest

    On 03/18/2012 05:30 PM, nospam wrote:
    > In article<>, Alan Browne
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> When the windows v. comes out, sell the mac mini on craigslist (after
    >> copying off the images of course...).

    > or just reboot it into windows.

    I know a Mac can run Windows
    but I am not a Windows user.

    A few years ago I got hit with a root kit and have used Linux ever since
    philo, Mar 18, 2012
  12. tony cooper

    nospam Guest

    In article <jk5nph$pit$>, philo <>
    wrote:

    > >> When the windows v. comes out, sell the mac mini on craigslist (after
    > >> copying off the images of course...).

    > > or just reboot it into windows.

    > I know a Mac can run Windows
    > but I am not a Windows user.
    >
    > A few years ago I got hit with a root kit and have used Linux ever since

    then you will like a mac since os x is unix underneath, everything you
    do on linux will work natively, plus there's a lot of mac apps
    available too.
    nospam, Mar 18, 2012
  13. tony cooper

    philo Guest

    On 03/18/2012 05:39 PM, nospam wrote:

    >>> or just reboot it into windows.

    >> I know a Mac can run Windows
    >> but I am not a Windows user.
    >>
    >> A few years ago I got hit with a root kit and have used Linux ever since

    > then you will like a mac since os x is unix underneath, everything you
    > do on linux will work natively, plus there's a lot of mac apps
    > available too.

    yes. I have fooled around a bit with an old iMac someone gave me and
    I kind of like it.

    I have found this to be rather valuable

    http://www.finkproject.org/
    philo, Mar 18, 2012
  14. tony cooper

    philo Guest

    On 03/18/2012 05:44 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2012-03-18 18:21 , philo wrote:

    >>> I look forward to it. Where was your SI contribution, by the way? (Never
    >>> too late).
    >>>

    >> What's an "SI" contribution?

    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage
    >
    > Mandate just ending:
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/work
    >
    > (But as I'm a softie you're welcome to submit a day or so late).

    Duh I guess I should have figured that out since I had previously looked
    there.

    I'll see if I have anything

    thanks
    philo, Mar 18, 2012
  15. tony cooper

    Ray Fischer Guest

    philo <> wrote:
    >On 03/18/2012 05:00 PM, Alan Browne wrote:

    >>> I've looked on both Craig's list and eBay and a new Mini-Mac costs only
    >>> slightly more than a used one...so if I get one I figure I might was
    >>> well get a new one. If I do get it...it will be replacing a 12 year old
    >>> machine

    >> You won't know what hit you!
    >>
    >> They do hold their value...

    >I am sure that if I am "forced" into buying a Mac
    >there will be no complaints!

    Shrug. I have a Mac that's set up to do dual boot (Mac OS or Win 7)
    or for some hit in speed I can run both at the same time using VMWare
    Fusion. The latter takes a big chunk of memory but works.

    --
    Ray Fischer | None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
    Ray Fischer, Mar 18, 2012
  16. tony cooper

    philo Guest

    On 03/18/2012 06:13 PM, Ray Fischer wrote:
    > philo<> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> You won't know what hit you!
    >>>
    >>> They do hold their value...

    >> I am sure that if I am "forced" into buying a Mac
    >> there will be no complaints!

    > Shrug. I have a Mac that's set up to do dual boot (Mac OS or Win 7)
    > or for some hit in speed I can run both at the same time using VMWare
    > Fusion. The latter takes a big chunk of memory but works.

    I'm familiar with virtual machines
    but the guest OS always suffers a performance hit
    so generally do not use them
    philo, Mar 18, 2012
  17. tony cooper

    nospam Guest

    In article <jk5r1n$1km$>, philo <>
    wrote:

    > I'm familiar with virtual machines
    > but the guest OS always suffers a performance hit
    > so generally do not use them

    it's negligible.
    nospam, Mar 18, 2012
  18. tony cooper

    Ray Fischer Guest

    philo <> wrote:
    >On 03/18/2012 06:13 PM, Ray Fischer wrote:
    >> philo<> wrote:

    >>> I am sure that if I am "forced" into buying a Mac
    >>> there will be no complaints!

    >> Shrug. I have a Mac that's set up to do dual boot (Mac OS or Win 7)
    >> or for some hit in speed I can run both at the same time using VMWare
    >> Fusion. The latter takes a big chunk of memory but works.

    >I'm familiar with virtual machines
    >but the guest OS always suffers a performance hit
    >so generally do not use them

    They both suffer some performance hit. You won't run games on
    either OS, but for most apps it works fine and is more convenient
    than rebooting your system.

    Ray Fischer, Mar 18, 2012
  19. tony cooper

    philo Guest

    On 03/18/2012 06:29 PM, nospam wrote:
    > In article<jk5r1n$1km$>, philo<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I'm familiar with virtual machines
    >> but the guest OS always suffers a performance hit
    >> so generally do not use them

    > it's negligible.

    That has not been my experience
    even on machines with a lot of RAM
    philo, Mar 18, 2012
  20. tony cooper

    philo Guest

    On 03/18/2012 06:30 PM, Ray Fischer wrote:
    > philo<> wrote:

    >>> Shrug. I have a Mac that's set up to do dual boot (Mac OS or Win 7)
    >>> or for some hit in speed I can run both at the same time using VMWare
    >>> Fusion. The latter takes a big chunk of memory but works.

    >> I'm familiar with virtual machines
    >> but the guest OS always suffers a performance hit
    >> so generally do not use them

    > They both suffer some performance hit. You won't run games on
    > either OS, but for most apps it works fine and is more convenient
    > than rebooting your system.

    I use removable drive kits

    I must have over twenty of them between my three main machines

    (yep I am a bit nuts)
    philo, Mar 18, 2012