Re: Lost PC sound.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 28, 2009.

  1. In message <0a56265a-
    wrote:

    > I don't know if someone or some virus has deleted my sound software.

    Always worth trying a Linux live CD just to isolate whether it’s a Dimdows
    problem or not.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 28, 2009

  2. In message <e0220168-6f17-4a64-971e-
    >, ChristianKnight wrote:

    > If it fails with a Linux live CD is it still a virus?

    Not likely. It would more likely point to a hardware problem.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 31, 2009

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <e0220168-6f17-4a64-971e-
    > >, ChristianKnight wrote:
    >
    >> If it fails with a Linux live CD is it still a virus?

    > Not likely. It would more likely point to a hardware problem.

    It would have to be a strange hardware problem, since his PCI sound card
    didn't work either.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Dec 31, 2009
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Jonno Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <e0220168-6f17-4a64-971e-
    >> >, ChristianKnight wrote:
    >>
    >>> If it fails with a Linux live CD is it still a virus?

    >> Not likely. It would more likely point to a hardware problem.
    > >

    > It would have to be a strange hardware problem, since his PCI sound card
    > didn't work either.

    I don't suppose he's tried the easy things like seeing if there is a tick
    in the "Mute All" box in the Master Volume control panel?

    Jonno, Jan 1, 2010
  5. In message <5c57e076-aeb9-43ef-
    >, ChristianKnight wrote:

    > It's all fixed now and not a cent spent.

    Except for how many hours spent reinstalling everything?

    How much is your time worth?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 3, 2010
  6. In message <1bbeaa05-0191-4d53-
    >, ChristianKnight wrote:

    > It's all cleared up now with a good old fashioned format.

    I’ve never had to reformat/reinstall a Linux system just to fix a
    configuration stuffup.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 3, 2010