Re: Looney Tunes Mess

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Steve(JazzHunter), Jul 12, 2003.

  1. On 12 Jul 2003 19:10:06 GMT, (PNeski) wrote:

    >This set will be fine,But its hardly part of a complete plan,In fact the
    >selection of the cartoons is pretty lame,Its almost like they don't know
    >they own the pre 1946 stuff,Sure theres one or two thrown in,But
    >wheres Clampet and Averys best stuff,The extras look great,and
    >I am sure the cartoons will have great prints,
    >I wouldn't even bother with this thing if it wasn't for the extras and
    >those few good ones they gave us,
    >Peter

    Yah, hopefully they're getting the mass-market stuff out first, to
    whet our interest, then comes the good stuff.

    . Steve .
    Steve(JazzHunter), Jul 12, 2003

  2. (PNeski) wrote:

    > >This set will be fine,But its hardly part of a complete plan,In fact the
    > >selection of the cartoons is pretty lame,Its almost like they don't know
    > >they own the pre 1946 stuff,

    Okay, first, shouldn't we be waiting for the actual complete list of
    cartoons before making complaints? Next, a few points:

    - The list we've got so far is unbalanced in favor of post-1950
    cartoons in part because those are the cartoons for which music-only
    tracks are available. (It says in the notes for one of the Carl
    Stalling CDs that it's for cartoons after 1950 or so that the music
    tracks are in the best shape.)

    - There's a Bob Clampett featurette on one of the discs, so it seems
    more than likely that we'll get more Clampett cartoons on the set than
    the list would indicate so far (all the other featurettes are related
    somewhat to the content of the set)

    - Earlier cartoons require more restoration work because they were in
    terrible shape for so long. Look at the comparison between the TV
    print and the DVD print of "Baseball Bugs" (which isn't even all that
    early, 1946). Also they need to work on restoring titles for "Blue
    Ribbon" cartoons. (Example: "The Foghorn Leghorn," a 1948 cartoon
    that's usually seen in a "Blue Ribbon" version, will be on the DVD
    with its full original titles: "The Foghorn Leghorn, Starring HENERY
    HAWK"). We'll probably see more earlier cartoons as the restoration
    work goes on.

    - The set is only supposed to be "wave one," so the point is not to
    select the 56 desert-island cartoons and never release any other
    cartoons, but to pick a good cross-section of cartoons with the
    favorite characters. This in itself creates a slight bias toward
    post-1946 cartoons because many popular characters made their debuts
    after the war (the Tweety/Sylvester pairing, Foghorn Leghorn, Road
    Runner, etc). Some of the most famous cartoons are being saved for
    future sets (i.e. most of the "musical" cartoons).

    - You'll notice that the cartoons named so far include almost no
    cartoons made after 1955 (when the studio's animation budgets were
    slashed and the quality started to decline, leading to the generally
    desultory '60s cartoons). So it's not like they're just selecting
    stuff from the "Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show" catalog (one thing about
    the cartoons shown on Saturday Morning is that they were heavily
    biased toward post-1955 cartoons, because these were the most
    formulaic and chase-heavy, and thus the most obviously appealing to
    children). The 1946-1953 era is still part of the studio's prime,
    unless you're of the opinion that the prime years ended the day
    Clampett left (some are, I'm not).

    - "High Diving Hare." Man, I love that cartoon. (Not really relevant,
    just had to throw that in.)

    Sorry for the length, but I think it's unfair to talk as though the
    people who put this set together have just thrown stuff together
    without knowing what the good cartoons are or whatever. Particularly
    since we don't yet know all the titles.
    Gieber Goldfarb, Jul 13, 2003

  3. Steve(JazzHunter)

    PNeski Guest

    Subject: Re: Looney Tunes Mess
    From: (Gieber Goldfarb)
    Date: 7/13/03 1:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time

    Okay, first, shouldn't we be waiting for the actual complete list of
    cartoons before making complaints? Next, a few points:
    >>>I though Thats what we got

    - The list we've got so far is unbalanced in favor of post-1950
    cartoons in part because those are the cartoons for which music-only
    tracks are available. (It says in the notes for one of the Carl
    Stalling CDs that it's for cartoons after 1950 or so that the music
    tracks are in the best shape.)
    So thats the reason,I don't think so
    - There's a Bob Clampett featurette on one of the discs, so it seems
    more than likely that we'll get more Clampett cartoons on the set than
    the list would indicate so far (all the other featurettes are related
    somewhat to the content of the set)
    well lets hope

    - Earlier cartoons require more restoration work because they were in
    terrible shape for so long. Look at the comparison between the TV
    print and the DVD print of "Baseball Bugs" (which isn't even all that
    early, 1946).
    >>While this true,some of the three color cartoon prints on the

    columbia house tapes are so fine I bet they look as good.

    Also they need to work on restoring titles for "Blue
    Ribbon" cartoons. (Example: "The Foghorn Leghorn," a 1948 cartoon
    that's usually seen in a "Blue Ribbon" version, will be on the DVD
    with its full original titles: "The Foghorn Leghorn, Starring HENERY
    HAWK"). We'll probably see more earlier cartoons as the restoration
    work goes on.

    >>>They have had years .....

    - The set is only supposed to be "wave one," so the point is not to
    select the 56 desert-island cartoons and never release any other
    cartoons,
    I heard this,There is hope
    but to pick a good cross-section of cartoons with the
    favorite characters. This in itself creates a slight bias toward
    post-1946 cartoons because many popular characters made their debuts
    after the war (the Tweety/Sylvester pairing, Foghorn Leghorn, Road
    Runner, etc). Some of the most famous cartoons are being saved for
    future sets (i.e. most of the "musical" cartoons).

    >>>Sorry those aren't even close to the best Porkyand Bugs cartoons

    This is just a bunch of random titles that they restored

    - You'll notice that the cartoons named so far include almost no
    cartoons made after 1955
    who knows maybe the next set will make us buy those

    (when the studio's animation budgets were
    slashed and the quality started to decline, leading to the generally
    desultory '60s cartoons). So it's not like they're just selecting
    stuff from the "Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show" catalog (one thing about
    the cartoons shown on Saturday Morning is that they were heavily
    biased toward post-1955 cartoons, because these were the most
    formulaic and chase-heavy, and thus the most obviously appealing to
    children). The 1946-1953 era is still part of the studio's prime,
    unless you're of the opinion that the prime years ended the day
    Clampett left (some are, I'm not).

    >> You give them more credit then they deserve

    - "High Diving Hare." Man, I love that cartoon. (Not really relevant,
    just had to throw that in.)

    Sorry for the length, but I think it's unfair to talk as though the
    people who put this set together have just thrown stuff together
    without knowing what the good cartoons are or whatever. Particularly
    since we don't yet know all the titles.

    ,sure it will be great to get a new Baseball bugs,but I really
    couln't care less about most of these,Wheres the good stuff
    You could make a dvd of the Columbia house Clampett tape
    and you would have a better collection.

    The budget cuts really started after the war .
    Peter
    PNeski, Jul 13, 2003
  4. (PNeski) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Subject: Re: Looney Tunes Mess
    > From: (Gieber Goldfarb)

    > Okay, first, shouldn't we be waiting for the actual complete list of
    > cartoons before making complaints? Next, a few points:

    No. The list names only the cartoons for which we have commentaries
    and/or music-only tracks. There are about 25 titles that haven't been
    announced yet.

    > ,sure it will be great to get a new Baseball bugs,but I really
    > couln't care less about most of these,Wheres the good stuff
    > You could make a dvd of the Columbia house Clampett tape
    > and you would have a better collection.

    The core of your complaint appears to be that you like only the
    Clampett/Avery era. I grudgingly respect that, but I would think that
    a DVD set would be aimed at those of us who like a broader range of
    the studio's output. (I agree that there should be a balance of pre-
    and post-war stuff, but we don't yet know what those other 25 cartoons
    will be, so who knows...) I would say that a lot of the post-Clampett
    cartoons are as good as the best of Clampett (I'll be heretical and
    say that I think some of the early McKimsons are as good as anything
    else), so I find it bizarre to talk as though [fill in name of popular
    1947-1953 cartoon] is some kind of second-class citizen in the
    studio's history... it's just a type of snobbery, I think (reverse
    snobbery, maybe)

    > The budget cuts really started after the war .

    Technically the budget cuts started earlier than that
    Gieber Goldfarb, Jul 13, 2003