    >http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/the-final-three-results.html

    "Olympus' inventory of cameras grew, which means they weren't able to
    sell the product they already made."

    Why, then, were OM-D's nearly impossible to get for a while?

    --
    Please reply to: | "We establish no religion in this country, we
    pciszek at panix dot com | command no worship, we mandate no belief, nor
    Autoreply is disabled | will we ever. Church and state are, and must

    Paul Ciszek, Feb 13, 2013

  2. Paul Ciszek

    PeterN Guest

    On 2/13/2013 7:44 AM, Paul Ciszek wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > RichA <> wrote:
    >> http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/the-final-three-results.html

    > "Olympus' inventory of cameras grew, which means they weren't able to
    > sell the product they already made."
    >
    > Why, then, were OM-D's nearly impossible to get for a while?

    Possibly for the same reason the Nikon D800 was hard to get for a while:
    I call it creation of demand through creation of artificial shortages.
    There is a marketing perception that if something is hard to get, it
    must be good.

    "Wopw, was I lucky to get my hands on a <fill in the blank> etc.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Feb 13, 2013

  3. Paul Ciszek

    RichA Guest

    On Feb 13, 4:39 pm, PeterN <> wrote:
    > On 2/13/2013 7:44 AM, Paul Ciszek wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > RichA  <> wrote:
    > >>http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/the-final-three-results.html

    > > "Olympus' inventory of cameras grew, which means they weren't able to
    > > sell the product they already made."

    > > Why, then, were OM-D's nearly impossible to get for a while?

    > Possibly for the same reason the Nikon D800 was hard to get for a while:
    > I call it creation of demand through creation of artificial shortages.
    > There is a marketing perception that if something is hard to get, it
    > must be good.
    >
    > "Wopw, was I lucky to get my hands on a <fill in the blank>  etc.
    >
    > --
    > PeterN

    No, it's just that they don't amass hundreds of thousands (like with
    cellphones) before release. There are no "days long line-ups" at
    camera stores like with phones. They portion out the initial stock to
    key dealers and the early adopters (like me with the E-5M) deplete
    what they have an a shortage is seen, at least initially.

    RichA, Feb 13, 2013
  4. Paul Ciszek

    PeterN Guest

    On 2/13/2013 6:41 PM, RichA wrote:
    > On Feb 13, 4:39 pm, PeterN <> wrote:
    >> On 2/13/2013 7:44 AM, Paul Ciszek wrote:

    >>> "Olympus' inventory of cameras grew, which means they weren't able to
    >>> sell the product they already made."

    >>> Why, then, were OM-D's nearly impossible to get for a while?

    >> Possibly for the same reason the Nikon D800 was hard to get for a while:
    >> I call it creation of demand through creation of artificial shortages.
    >> There is a marketing perception that if something is hard to get, it
    >> must be good.
    >>
    >> "Wopw, was I lucky to get my hands on a <fill in the blank> etc.
    >>
    >> --
    >> PeterN

    > No, it's just that they don't amass hundreds of thousands (like with
    > cellphones) before release. There are no "days long line-ups" at
    > camera stores like with phones. They portion out the initial stock to
    > key dealers and the early adopters (like me with the E-5M) deplete
    > what they have an a shortage is seen, at least initially.

    So what have you said that I didn't?

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Feb 14, 2013
  5. Paul Ciszek

    RichA Guest

    On Feb 14, 9:43 am, PeterN <> wrote:
    > On 2/13/2013 6:41 PM, RichA wrote:

    > >> Possibly for the same reason the Nikon D800 was hard to get for a while:
    > >> I call it creation of demand through creation of artificial shortages.
    > >> There is a marketing perception that if something is hard to get, it
    > >> must be good.

    > >> "Wopw, was I lucky to get my hands on a <fill in the blank>  etc.

    > >> --
    > >> PeterN

    > > No, it's just that they don't amass hundreds of thousands (like with
    > > cellphones) before release.  There are no "days long line-ups" at
    > > camera stores like with phones.  They portion out the initial stock to
    > > key dealers and the early adopters (like me with the E-5M) deplete
    > > what they have an a shortage is seen, at least initially.

    > So what have you said that I didn't?
    >
    > --
    > PeterN

    I don't think they create artificial sources.

    RichA, Feb 15, 2013
  6. Paul Ciszek

    PeterN Guest

    On 2/14/2013 8:24 PM, RichA wrote:
    > On Feb 14, 9:43 am, PeterN <> wrote:

    >>> No, it's just that they don't amass hundreds of thousands (like with
    >>> cellphones) before release. There are no "days long line-ups" at
    >>> camera stores like with phones. They portion out the initial stock to
    >>> key dealers and the early adopters (like me with the E-5M) deplete
    >>> what they have an a shortage is seen, at least initially.

    >> So what have you said that I didn't?
    >>
    >> --
    >> PeterN

    > I don't think they create artificial sources.

    Whoosh!

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Feb 15, 2013