Re: Looks great in Photoshop, dull everywhere else!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bart van der Wolf, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. "SRB" <> wrote in message
    SNIP
    > If you have any theories on why this may be I'd love to know... thanks
    > in advance.

    Color profile mismatch.

    If you open the image in Photoshop, and the file has an embedded profile
    description, you will be offered the choice to either retain that color
    space, convert to your working space or ignore all together. In the latter
    case Photoshop has no idea how to display, so it probably will look awful.

    You are now looking at a file encoded with a certain profile, that probably
    is different from your non-color managed output device (e.g. CRT or
    printer). If you look at that file with a non-color management aware
    application, it can look like you describe, dull, but it could also look
    extremely saturated.

    If you want the file to look good in most non-color managed applications
    (e.g. most web browsers) you need to convert the file in Photoshop to the
    destination space and save the file after that conversion. This only works
    if the file had a profile assigned in the first place, because converting
    needs to know from what to convert, into a destination space.

    Bart
    Bart van der Wolf, Jul 10, 2003

  2. Bart van der Wolf

    SRB Guest

    First of all, thank you to everyone who responded.

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 12:55:47 +0200, "Bart van der Wolf"
    <> wrote:

    >"SRB" <> wrote in message
    >SNIP
    >> If you have any theories on why this may be I'd love to know... thanks
    >> in advance.

    >Color profile mismatch.
    >
    >If you open the image in Photoshop, and the file has an embedded profile
    >description, you will be offered the choice to either retain that color
    >space, convert to your working space or ignore all together. In the latter
    >case Photoshop has no idea how to display, so it probably will look awful.

    Yes indeed, I do get this choice. And yes the latter looks awful. The
    first two choices look about the same, that is, quite good and
    non-dull.

    >You are now looking at a file encoded with a certain profile, that probably
    >is different from your non-color managed output device (e.g. CRT or
    >printer). If you look at that file with a non-color management aware
    >application, it can look like you describe, dull, but it could also look
    >extremely saturated.

    Hmmm. I have used Monaco EZ-Colour to set up an ICC profile for my
    monitor.

    >If you want the file to look good in most non-color managed applications
    >(e.g. most web browsers) you need to convert the file in Photoshop to the
    >destination space and save the file after that conversion. This only works
    >if the file had a profile assigned in the first place, because converting
    >needs to know from what to convert, into a destination space.

    Well from what I've read on the Nikon site even though the EXIF
    information in the image says sRGB it's not really true sRGB, but
    something approximate to that to begin with.

    So I'm confused. I thought if I have my dandy-looking image in
    Photoshop and I take care to mode->convert the profile to sRGB, then
    it should look good in most imaging apps. Perhaps sRGB is just not
    capable of these nice colors? But it must be since I can take a
    screen-shot of it when in Photoshop, save it, and it looks good in
    other programs. Any ideas?

    -SRB
    SRB, Jul 11, 2003