Re: Looking for Virus Removal Info

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Ghost, Jul 25, 2003.

  1. Ghost

    Ghost Guest

    In article <WfdUa.21318$>,
    "smackedass" <> wrote:

    > Hello again,
    >
    > I am looking for general information on virus removal. Upon my first Google
    > and Jeeves searches, I was able to find some information about removing
    > specific viruses using propietary virus removal programs.
    >
    > That is all good and fine, but...what I am looking for is more fundamental
    > information, such as, what does one do if the virus itself has made the
    > operating system/hard drive difficult or impossible to work with? One
    > solution that I've heard of is to install the hard drive into another box as
    > the secondary drive, and then proceed with the removal. I am also aware
    > that you may be able to boot from an emergency disk, but then how do you go
    > about installing the virus program, or using the removal tools?
    >
    > Any references or first hand experiences will be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks, again.
    >
    > smackedass

    All of our bench computers are set up with power and IDE cables sticking
    out from underneath to cover or through the front port.

    All suspected virus jobs are handled this way- we do not under any
    circumstances boot the customer's computer. If there is a virus present,
    you will likely be causing more damage each time you boot the computer-
    even in safe mode.

    We always remove the customers HDD and mount it as a secondary HDD on the
    bench PC. We then scan and remove any viruses. You can remove the virus
    this way, but you cannot repair whatever damage the virus did.

    We then return the HDD to the customers machine and boot to safe mode-
    where we now repair the damage the virus may have caused.

    Ghost, Jul 25, 2003