Re: Look Out Lady Gaga

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tony cooper, Nov 16, 2010.

  1. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 14:33:28 -0600, Dudley Hanks
    <> wrote:

    >As for the various styles and their importance, here we can
    >agree. That is why, in addition to the material supporting my
    >preference, I also included the way Shakespeare did it, which
    >agreed more closely with your approach.

    I don't think there were style manuals around when Willy was writing.
    Chaucer, who also penned a few line before the style manuals came
    about, often used a version of "people that". Good thing there were
    no newsgroups then because the "people who" adherents would jump him.
    I can't find any specific rule that says that "people that" is
    incontrovertibly wrong.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Nov 16, 2010

  2. tony cooper

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <>, tony_cooper213
    @earthlink.net says...

    > On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 14:33:28 -0600, Dudley Hanks
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >As for the various styles and their importance, here we can
    > >agree. That is why, in addition to the material supporting my
    > >preference, I also included the way Shakespeare did it, which
    > >agreed more closely with your approach.

    > I don't think there were style manuals around when Willy was writing.
    > Chaucer, who also penned a few line before the style manuals came
    > about, often used a version of "people that". Good thing there were
    > no newsgroups then because the "people who" adherents would jump him.
    > I can't find any specific rule that says that "people that" is
    > incontrovertibly wrong.

    There weren't dictionaries either, the good bard would sometimes spell
    the same word several different ways in the course of a play.

    J. Clarke, Nov 17, 2010

  3. tony cooper

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Nov 17, 10:45 am, "J. Clarke" <> wrote:
    > In article <>, tony_cooper213
    > @earthlink.net says...
    >

    > > On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 14:33:28 -0600, Dudley Hanks
    > > <> wrote:

    > > >As for the various styles and their importance, here we can
    > > >agree.  That is why, in addition to the material supporting my
    > > >preference, I also included the way Shakespeare did it, which
    > > >agreed more closely with your approach.

    > > I don't think there were style manuals around when Willy was writing.
    > > Chaucer, who also penned a few line before the style manuals came
    > > about, often used a version of "people that".  Good thing there were
    > > no newsgroups then because the "people who" adherents would jump him.
    > > I can't find any specific rule that says that "people that" is
    > > incontrovertibly wrong.

    > There weren't dictionaries either, the good bard would sometimes spell
    > the same word several different ways in the course of a play.

    Never realise I had something in common with Shakespeare ;-)

    Whisky-dave, Nov 17, 2010