Re: Logitech Dives Into VoIP

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Ivor Jones, Aug 17, 2006.

  1. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Al" <.@_.invalid> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 21:39:49 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:
    >
    > > "Andrew Gabriel" <> wrote in
    > > message news:44e37e61$0$632$

    > > > I was counting skype.

    > > I wasn't, because it isn't usable with ATA's etc.

    > What has that got to do with it?

    Everything, if you need to be able to use the system from normal phones.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 17, 2006

  2. Ivor Jones

    Paul Cupis Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > "Al" <.@_.invalid> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 21:39:49 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Andrew Gabriel" <> wrote in
    >>> message news:44e37e61$0$632$
    >>> I wasn't, because it isn't usable with ATA's etc.

    >> What has that got to do with it?

    > Everything, if you need to be able to use the system from normal phones.

    Which has nothing to do with it's status as a type of VoIP, nor its
    popularity.

    Paul Cupis, Aug 17, 2006

  3. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Paul Cupis" <> wrote in message
    > Ivor Jones wrote:
    > > "Al" <.@_.invalid> wrote in message

    > > > What has that got to do with it?

    > > Everything, if you need to be able to use the system
    > > from normal phones.

    > Which has nothing to do with it's status as a type of
    > VoIP, nor its popularity.

    But everything if you need to be able to use it from normal phones.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 17, 2006
  4. Ivor Jones

    Al Guest

    On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 11:39:53 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

    >Everything, if you need to be able to use the system from normal phones.

    What's your definition of "normal phone"?

    Al, Aug 17, 2006
  5. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Al" <.@_.invalid> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 11:39:53 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:
    >
    > > Everything, if you need to be able to use the system
    > > from normal phones.

    > What's your definition of "normal phone"?

    A phone that plugs into a normal phone socket, what's yours..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 17, 2006
  6. Ivor Jones

    Al Guest

    On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 14:11:18 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

    >A phone that plugs into a normal phone socket, what's yours..?

    What's a "normal phone socket?". In my company I can't plug in the
    same handset that I use at home. Is my company not using "normal
    phones"?

    What about mobile phones - are they "abnormal"?

    Al, Aug 17, 2006
  7. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Al" <.@_.invalid> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 14:11:18 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:
    >
    > > A phone that plugs into a normal phone socket, what's
    > > yours..?

    > What's a "normal phone socket?". In my company I can't
    > plug in the same handset that I use at home. Is my
    > company not using "normal phones"?

    Not if they won't work on normal landlines, no. I don't know what system
    you use at work, but I would guess they are "system" phones of some sort.

    > What about mobile phones - are they "abnormal"?

    Who mentioned mobiles..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 17, 2006
  8. Ivor Jones

    Al Guest

    On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 15:56:53 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

    >"Al" <.@_.invalid> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 14:11:18 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:
    >>
    >> What about mobile phones - are they "abnormal"?

    >Who mentioned mobiles..?

    To many people I know a mobile phone is the only type of phone they
    use. Therefore to them it's a "normal phone".

    The problem you have is that you are looking at it all in a very
    narrow way as to what suits you. While I don't personally use it, to
    many people (maybe the majority for all I know) use Skype as a voip
    service. Who are you to say that they're wrong?

    Al, Aug 17, 2006
  9. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Al" <.@_.invalid> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 15:56:53 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:
    >
    > > "Al" <.@_.invalid> wrote in message
    > > > On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 14:11:18 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:
    > > >
    > > > What about mobile phones - are they "abnormal"?

    > > Who mentioned mobiles..?

    > To many people I know a mobile phone is the only type of
    > phone they use. Therefore to them it's a "normal phone".

    You can't use VoIP over a mobile, hence it is not normal in that context.

    > The problem you have is that you are looking at it all in
    > a very narrow way as to what suits you. While I don't
    > personally use it, to many people (maybe the majority for
    > all I know) use Skype as a voip service. Who are you to
    > say that they're wrong?

    I don't. I simply said that any system that requires a computer to be on
    in order to function is no use to most people. MAybe I'm wrong, I don't
    think so.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 18, 2006
  10. Ivor Jones

    Al Guest

    On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 01:35:32 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

    >I don't. I simply said that any system that requires a computer to be on
    >in order to function is no use to most people. MAybe I'm wrong,

    You are wrong and blinkered by your own system's deficiencies.

    Al, Aug 18, 2006
  11. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Al" <.@_.invalid> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 01:35:32 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:
    >
    > > I don't. I simply said that any system that requires a
    > > computer to be on in order to function is no use to
    > > most people. MAybe I'm wrong,

    > You are wrong and blinkered by your own system's
    > deficiencies.

    My system is very efficient. I can pick up any of 25+ phones and use any
    one of 6 outside lines, 5 of which are VoIP. Incoming calls on different
    numbers ring different phones depending on time of day and other
    requirements, there are two cordless DECT phones on the system as well so
    not everything is tied down by wires.

    None of it needs a computer to be up and running and it's all backed up by
    a UPS so doesn't disappear in the event of a power failure.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 18, 2006
  12. Ivor Jones

    Al Guest

    On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 10:29:39 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

    >None of it needs a computer to be up and running and it's all backed up by
    >a UPS so doesn't disappear in the event of a power failure.

    But will you still be able to answer all those 25 telephones at once
    if your property gets a direct hit from a missile?

    Al, Aug 18, 2006
  13. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Al" <.@_.invalid> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 10:29:39 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:
    >
    > > None of it needs a computer to be up and running and
    > > it's all backed up by a UPS so doesn't disappear in the
    > > event of a power failure.

    > But will you still be able to answer all those 25
    > telephones at once if your property gets a direct hit
    > from a missile?

    Eh..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 18, 2006
  14. Ivor Jones

    Paul Cupis Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > "Al" <.@_.invalid> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 15:56:53 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Al" <.@_.invalid> wrote in message

    >>> Who mentioned mobiles..?

    >> To many people I know a mobile phone is the only type of
    >> phone they use. Therefore to them it's a "normal phone".

    > You can't use VoIP over a mobile, hence it is not normal in that context.

    There are mobile phones on the market now with builtin VoIP clients.

    >> The problem you have is that you are looking at it all in
    >> a very narrow way as to what suits you. While I don't
    >> personally use it, to many people (maybe the majority for
    >> all I know) use Skype as a voip service. Who are you to
    >> say that they're wrong?

    > I don't. I simply said that any system that requires a computer to be on
    > in order to function is no use to most people. MAybe I'm wrong, I don't
    > think so.

    You are wrong - I would contend that practically every VoIP system
    requires a computer to be on in order to function.

    Paul Cupis, Aug 18, 2006
  15. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Paul Cupis" <> wrote in message
    > Ivor Jones wrote:

    [snip]

    > > I don't. I simply said that any system that requires a
    > > computer to be on in order to function is no use to
    > > most people. MAybe I'm wrong, I don't think so.

    > You are wrong - I would contend that practically every
    > VoIP system requires a computer to be on in order to
    > function.

    At a network level, perhaps. But not at the end user level, which is what
    we are discussing.

    If every computer in this building failed now, the phones would still be
    working.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 18, 2006
  16. Ivor Jones

    Al Guest

    On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 13:12:28 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

    >If every computer in this building failed now, the phones would still be
    >working.

    .... but what about when you that direct missile hit - have you a
    nuclear bunker?

    Al, Aug 18, 2006
  17. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Al" <.@_.invalid> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 13:12:28 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:
    >
    > > If every computer in this building failed now, the
    > > phones would still be working.

    > ... but what about when you that direct missile hit -
    > have you a nuclear bunker?

    No, but I know where there is one..!

    Anyway, if you get hit by this missile, your Skype program on that PC
    won't be working all that well either..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 18, 2006
  18. Ivor Jones

    Al Guest

    On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 14:16:12 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

    >Anyway, if you get hit by this missile, your Skype program on that PC
    >won't be working all that well either..!

    Nah, Skype is available with (amongst other things) Pocket PC, so it
    travels with you in your pocket!

    Al, Aug 18, 2006
  19. Ivor Jones

    alexd Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:

    > "Paul Cupis" <> wrote in message
    >> Ivor Jones wrote:

    > [snip]
    >
    >> > I don't. I simply said that any system that requires a
    >> > computer to be on in order to function is no use to
    >> > most people. MAybe I'm wrong, I don't think so.

    >> You are wrong - I would contend that practically every
    >> VoIP system requires a computer to be on in order to
    >> function.

    > At a network level, perhaps. But not at the end user level, which is what
    > we are discussing.

    What level is a PBX at if isn't at the network level? How many end-users
    have got a PBX?

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    19:08:11 up 25 days, 30 min, 2 users, load average: 0.57, 0.28, 0.29

    alexd, Aug 18, 2006
  20. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "alexd" <> wrote in message
    > Ivor Jones wrote:
    >
    > > "Paul Cupis" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > > > You are wrong - I would contend that practically every
    > > > VoIP system requires a computer to be on in order to
    > > > function.

    > > At a network level, perhaps. But not at the end user
    > > level, which is what we are discussing.

    > What level is a PBX at if isn't at the network level? How
    > many end-users have got a PBX?

    Probably most businesses..! See the recent post in this group about
    someone who wants to integrate VoIP into his PABX. - "add voip phone to
    office pabx" is thr thread title.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 19, 2006