Re: "lock out keys"

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Les Walton, Jul 21, 2006.

  1. Les Walton

    Les Walton Guest

    On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 01:48:25 +0000, Stormin Mormon wrote:

    > No reputable locksmith would give lock opening information over an
    > open message board like this. Such information would be highly
    > unethical, and would endanger the safety of the public.

    Ooooooooo...
    Thats terrifying!!!!!!

    Wndanger the safety of the public???
    Oh, that's big.....

    I'll bet you can recite the Foley Belsaw Code of Ethics by heart!!!

    Do you idiot locksmiths think for a second that you posses any knowledge
    that isn't available from a 1000 different sources?

    The days of the secret handshake are long gone stormin'........

    Any idiot can open a lock.
    Any idiot can install a lockset.

    You fossils are sure a riot!

    Les Walton, Jul 21, 2006

  2. Les Walton wrote:
    > On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 01:48:25 +0000, Stormin Mormon wrote:
    >

    >>No reputable locksmith would give lock opening information over an
    >>open message board like this. Such information would be highly
    >>unethical, and would endanger the safety of the public.

    > Ooooooooo...
    > Thats terrifying!!!!!!
    >
    > Wndanger the safety of the public???
    > Oh, that's big.....
    >
    > I'll bet you can recite the Foley Belsaw Code of Ethics by heart!!!
    >

    > Do you idiot locksmiths think for a second that you posses any knowledge
    > that isn't available from a 1000 different sources?
    >
    > The days of the secret handshake are long gone stormin'........
    >
    > Any idiot can open a lock.
    > Any idiot can install a lockset.

    Most any idiot can open a locked door if their work boots are reinforced
    enough. Maybe not a bank's vault, but the usual front door to a house,
    or even easier, a window that's at an easy level ... there shouldn't be
    any argument about "safety of the public".

    The answer to "safety of the public" is to put highly lethal weapons in
    the hands of everybody in the country and let God sort out the bodies
    the next day.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 21, 2006

  3. Les Walton

    wer2chosen Guest

    wer2chosen, Jul 21, 2006
  4. Les Walton

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-21, Les Walton <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 01:48:25 +0000, Stormin Mormon wrote:
    >
    >> No reputable locksmith would give lock opening information over an
    >> open message board like this. Such information would be highly
    >> unethical, and would endanger the safety of the public.

    Yes. Burglars are not always "non-violent" and the more violent types
    will gravitate more towards home invasion if it gets easy.

    > Ooooooooo...
    > Thats terrifying!!!!!!
    >
    > Wndanger the safety of the public???
    > Oh, that's big.....
    >
    > I'll bet you can recite the Foley Belsaw Code of Ethics by heart!!!

    The three statements above testify to immense ignorance.

    > Do you idiot locksmiths think for a second that you posses any knowledge
    > that isn't available from a 1000 different sources?

    Well, my locksmith has special codes and needs to order blanks "in a
    special way". I don't think that stuff is available from 1000 sources.
    There's obviously an underground traffic but if you know, personally, of
    a 1000 sources then you are too far into the criminal underground for me
    to take anything you write as credible.

    > The days of the secret handshake are long gone stormin'........
    >
    > Any idiot can open a lock.

    Well, if you have done it then I will agree that any idiot can.

    > Any idiot can install a lockset.

    Ah, but can one make a key for the already installed lockset? That's a
    big part of locksmithing, IMO. Also, can one install a lockset that
    matches locksets already installed so that they all open with a single
    key?

    > You fossils are sure a riot!

    Idiots are more fun! Thanks for the laughs.

    --
    In the force if Yoda's so strong, construct a sentence
    with words in the proper order then why can't he?

    Jimchip, Jul 21, 2006
  5. Les Walton

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-21, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    > Les Walton wrote:
    >> On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 01:48:25 +0000, Stormin Mormon wrote:
    >>

    >>>No reputable locksmith would give lock opening information over an
    >>>open message board like this. Such information would be highly
    >>>unethical, and would endanger the safety of the public.

    >> Ooooooooo...
    >> Thats terrifying!!!!!!
    >>
    >> Wndanger the safety of the public???
    >> Oh, that's big.....
    >>
    >> I'll bet you can recite the Foley Belsaw Code of Ethics by heart!!!
    >>

    >> Do you idiot locksmiths think for a second that you posses any knowledge
    >> that isn't available from a 1000 different sources?
    >>
    >> The days of the secret handshake are long gone stormin'........
    >>
    >> Any idiot can open a lock.
    >> Any idiot can install a lockset.

    > Most any idiot can open a locked door if their work boots are reinforced
    > enough. Maybe not a bank's vault, but the usual front door to a house,
    > or even easier, a window that's at an easy level ... there shouldn't be
    > any argument about "safety of the public".

    It's a noisy entry vs. a stealth entry. My neighbors will alert on a
    kickdown or broken glass.

    > The answer to "safety of the public" is to put highly lethal weapons in
    > the hands of everybody in the country and let God sort out the bodies
    > the next day.

    Not everybody, Roger. Just the "good guys". Unfortunately, the "bad
    guys" have 'em first...the "bad guys" know their evil intent before the
    "good guys" know about it. :)

    Jimchip, Jul 21, 2006
  6. Jimchip wrote:

    > Well, my locksmith has special codes and needs to order blanks "in a
    > special way". I don't think that stuff is available from 1000 sources.
    > There's obviously an underground traffic but if you know, personally, of
    > a 1000 sources then you are too far into the criminal underground for me
    > to take anything you write as credible.

    Les has a point. I used to have an account with a couple of hardware
    supply wholesalers and I could buy any and all key blanks for roughly
    10¢ apiece, and I've never gotten close to being an "official"
    locksmith. Actually they came in a box of 10 or 12, but cheap enough to
    buy a box just to use one or two. And there's tons of lock picking info
    availble on the net. I can pick a lock so I guess that supports his
    theory of any idiot.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 21, 2006
  7. Les Walton

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-21, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    > Jimchip wrote:
    >
    >> Well, my locksmith has special codes and needs to order blanks "in a
    >> special way". I don't think that stuff is available from 1000 sources.
    >> There's obviously an underground traffic but if you know, personally, of
    >> a 1000 sources then you are too far into the criminal underground for me
    >> to take anything you write as credible.

    > Les has a point. I used to have an account with a couple of hardware
    > supply wholesalers and I could buy any and all key blanks for roughly
    > 10¢ apiece, and I've never gotten close to being an "official"
    > locksmith. Actually they came in a box of 10 or 12, but cheap enough to
    > buy a box just to use one or two. And there's tons of lock picking info
    > availble on the net. I can pick a lock so I guess that supports his
    > theory of any idiot.

    There's a record of your key blank order. One doesn't have to have a
    Homeland Security license to be a locksmith. I'm just suggesting that
    locksmiths do have a professional responsibility. Hey, most criminals
    aren't that smart but any "smart" one will probably be able to do it
    well. It's more accountability, in my mind, than "super-secret"
    technique. I can pick my lock on the garden shed (of course, right now
    it's just got a stick in the loop to hold it shut :). I bet you can't
    pick the one on my storage garage (bolt cutters won't work either). I'll
    also bet you can't pick the locks on my house doors.

    All this stuff is just to create a deterrent and I don't believe the
    bullshit about "how easy it is" and "anyone can do it". Short time and
    stealth are strict requirements for getting away clean. Some yahoo
    fiddling around my front or back doors 'cuz he read about it on the
    Internet is going to get caught.

    Also though, I think it is pretty tricky technique to show up in a full
    locksmith van and 1) Figure out the key needed to open a lock by
    examining the mechanism or just reading the right numbers 2) Making the
    key 3) Installing new locks in two other doors that fit the same key. I
    got to watch it all happen, including the mobile satellite internet
    connection and the two computers and the CAD and the little auto
    keymaker. It looked like a lot of fun, quite frankly. I'd want all the
    toys, though...not just a set of lock piks.

    Lastly, I disagree with "any idiot". Given what you do, I'll at least
    have to label you a "special idiot" :)

    Had any calls at 3AM lately ? :)

    Jimchip, Jul 21, 2006