Re: Load balancing 2 ISP's & BGP?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Terry Baranski, Jul 24, 2003.

  1. On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 08:48:55 -0400, Rob <> wrote:

    >We have our own ASN and support full Internet routing tables for best
    >service out of the providers.

    If the only reason you're accepting full routing tables is to load
    balance outbound traffic and that's no longer happening because your
    providers don't have similar connectivity to the Internet, perhaps
    you're better off accepting only customer routes + a default from each
    provider. Outbound traffic to a customer of either ISP will go out
    the appropriate link, while other traffic will be load balanced (CEF,
    per-destination) via the two equal-cost default routes.

    Terry Baranski, Jul 24, 2003

  2. Terry Baranski

    Rob Guest

    Is that a good idea to use CEF and load balance across two ISP's?
    I do that with private T1's to get a virtual 3Mb pipe, but I thought
    that was unheard of on the Internet. Without equal paths, all packets
    would be out of order.

    Rob, Jul 24, 2003

  3. In article <>,
    Rob <> wrote:
    >Is that a good idea to use CEF and load balance across two ISP's?
    >I do that with private T1's to get a virtual 3Mb pipe, but I thought
    >that was unheard of on the Internet. Without equal paths, all packets
    >would be out of order.

    Use per-flow load balancing rather than per-packet.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Level(3), Woburn, MA

    Barry Margolin, Jul 24, 2003