Re: Linxux desktop reality check -- still dying after all these years

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by victor, May 12, 2010.

  1. victor

    victor Guest

    On 13/05/2010 12:01 a.m., impossible wrote:
    > 19 years on, and linux usage on the desktop remains stuck within the
    > margin of error.
    >
    > Is it 1%? 2%? 3% 0% Who knows? There are no known measurement tools
    > sensitive enough to detect that small a population.
    >
    > http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php
    > http://statowl.com/operating_system_market_share.php
    > http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-monthly-201004-201004-bar
    > http://marketshare.hitslink.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=8
    >
    > Every time you see a blip up for a month, it turns out to be ....well,
    > just a blip.
    >
    > Meanwhile, Windowes 7 usage continues to grow at a rate of 10% or more
    > each month.
    >
    > Ouch! That's really got to annoy the larry D'Loserites.

    Windows 7 growth is just churn from older versions.
    Linux is static, its a DIY users product as far as measurement by
    clients hitting browser counters goes. Of course the sites that the
    counters are on are mostly linux servers.
    The Macs are probably over represented because of the higher personal /
    business ratio.
    The mobile stats are bullshit, the mobile users don't access general
    purpose pages with counters on them, they do facebook twitter google
    wikipedia etc.
    I have PCs that would never hit a counter site, and they are all behind
    1 ip. One just replaces the cookbooks and the kitchen / patio radio, one
    replaces the lounge stereo some do facebook twitter skype voip
    googledocs xero.
    The total sample of PCs hitting your webcounters is preselected and
    doesn't reflect todays usage.
    impossitroll = still partying like its 1999

    victor, May 12, 2010

  2. victor

    thingy Guest

    8><---

    > Stiull, nop one is using linux desktops.

    I do, 8+ hours a day....right along side Vista64 and a Mac....they all
    have advantages (um well maybe not Macs)....and weaknesses...

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, May 13, 2010

  3. victor