Re: Linxux desktop reality check -- still dying after all these years

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by AD., May 12, 2010.

  1. AD.

    AD. Guest

    On May 13, 12:01 am, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > 19 years on, and linux usage on the desktop remains stuck within the margin
    > of error.


    I wonder if that's the fault of all those commercial closed source
    Linux distros you keep talking about. What were some of them called
    again? Purple Unicorn Linux? Hens Teethux?
    AD., May 12, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. AD.

    Adam Guest

    AD. wrote:

    > On May 13, 12:01 am, "impossible" <> wrote:
    >> 19 years on, and linux usage on the desktop remains stuck within the
    >> margin of error.

    >
    > I wonder if that's the fault of all those commercial closed source
    > Linux distros you keep talking about. What were some of them called
    > again? Purple Unicorn Linux? Hens Teethux?


    Perhaps Autocad has seen a similar increase in usage ?
    Adam, May 12, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. In article <>, "AD." <> wrote:
    >On May 13, 12:01=A0am, "impossible" <> wrote:
    >> 19 years on, and linux usage on the desktop remains stuck within the marg=

    >in
    >> of error.

    >
    >I wonder if that's the fault of all those commercial closed source
    >Linux distros you keep talking about. What were some of them called
    >again? Purple Unicorn Linux? Hens Teethux?


    Nope. It's largely to do with how impossible likes to "measure" how many
    installs there are out there. One of its classics was "by number sold".
    Tiz to laugh; tiz to cry; tiz to give up. You will never persuade a fanatic
    believer. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, May 13, 2010
    #3
  4. AD.

    AD. Guest

    On May 13, 1:24 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > I'm still waiting for some Larry D'Loserite to actually cite EVEN ONE SHRED
    > OF evidence that suggests linux desktop usage is higher than what 4
    > independent surveys confirm -- 0-3%.


    And I'm still waiting for you to cite EVEN ONE EXAMPLE of a commercial
    closed source Linux distro shipping Linux under a non GPL license -
    like the ones you claimed there were LOTS of.

    Evidence please.

    Come on, this should be a much simpler task than convincing you about
    anything. There will be no subjective arguments about statistics, or
    data gathering methods, or measurement bias etc etc. You just have to
    name a single example.

    Should be trivial for you. You claim there are LOTS - but to make this
    even easier for you, you can get away with just citing ONE.

    Evidence please.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., May 13, 2010
    #4
  5. AD.

    Sweetpea Guest

    Re: Linxux desktop reality check -- still dying after all theseyears

    On Wed, 12 May 2010 18:43:53 -0700, AD. wrote:

    > On May 13, 1:24 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    >> I'm still waiting for some Larry D'Loserite to actually cite EVEN ONE
    >> SHRED OF evidence that suggests linux desktop usage is higher than what
    >> 4 independent surveys confirm -- 0-3%.

    >
    > And I'm still waiting for you to cite EVEN ONE EXAMPLE of a commercial
    > closed source Linux distro shipping Linux under a non GPL license - like
    > the ones you claimed there were LOTS of.



    You're wasting your breath trying to reason with impossitroll.


    --
    "Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
    Sweetpea, May 13, 2010
    #5
  6. AD.

    AD. Guest

    On May 13, 7:21 pm, Sweetpea <> wrote:
    > You're wasting your breath trying to reason with impossitroll.


    Reasoning? Nah, that's not reasoning.

    Occasionally I get a bit bored and try yanking its chain. A few things
    happen - it either amusingly loses its cool, or it runs out of
    sidesteps, paints itself into a corner and looks like an idiot.

    The impossitroll has the perfect combination of arrogance,
    abusiveness, missionary zeal, self awareness, a thin skin, and it
    hates not getting the last word in. But it is smart enough to know
    when it has lost.

    No other nz.comp troll is so suited to having its chain yanked - eg
    you yourself only have a couple of those qualities.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., May 13, 2010
    #6
  7. AD.

    victor Guest

    On 13/05/2010 1:24 p.m., impossible wrote:

    >
    > I'm still waiting for some Larry D'Loserite to actually cite EVEN ONE
    > SHRED OF evidence that suggests linux desktop usage is higher than what
    > 4 independent surveys confirm -- 0-3%.
    >
    > http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php
    > http://statowl.com/operating_system_market_share.php
    > http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-monthly-201004-201004-bar
    > http://marketshare.hitslink.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=8
    >
    > Come on, Brucie -- your fanboy mates adore your patter, but it's time
    > tom put up or shut up. Got any evidence? No, didn't think so.


    Who should we believe ?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#Desktop_and_laptop_computers

    Steve Ballmer of Microsoft estimates Linux's share of desktop users to
    be higher than the web stats suggest. In a speech to investors in
    February 2009, Ballmer presented a slide based on Microsoft's research:
    it shows Linux's share of business and home PCs about the same as
    Apple's.[2][3]
    victor, May 14, 2010
    #7
  8. AD.

    victor Guest

    On 14/05/2010 11:30 a.m., impossible wrote:
    >
    >
    > "victor" <> wrote in message
    > news:hsi1db$mob$-september.org...


    >>
    >> Who should we believe ?
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#Desktop_and_laptop_computers
    >>
    >>
    >> Steve Ballmer of Microsoft estimates Linux's share of desktop users to
    >> be higher than the web stats suggest. In a speech to investors in
    >> February 2009, Ballmer presented a slide based on Microsoft's
    >> research: it shows Linux's share of business and home PCs about the
    >> same as Apple's.[2][3]
    >>

    >
    > The web stats are ceratinly more reliable. Ballmer was just making a dig
    > at Apple. Interesting that the nix fanboys would celebrate Ballmer's PR
    > -- but then it's the same kind of statement backed by no evidence that
    > you'd make.
    >
    > Still waiting for some actual evidence that linux desktop usage is
    > outside the range of 0-3% estimated by 4 independent surveys, month in
    > and month out for years.


    Completely undisputed, I wouldn't know what it is, that is your
    obsession not mine. Up to an estimated 3% of an estimated billion
    desktop PCs, whatever, that's fine by me. Windows is king of the OEM
    installs. And according to Balmers stats there are a huge number of
    pirated copies that people have installed themselves, I'm a bit more
    skeptical about that. No evidence, as you say.
    I'm a Windows fan, I'm a Linux fan, I'm a computer fan, I have no idea
    why you see that as a pejorative term.
    After things post I'm about to try ubuntu in a virtual machine on Windows 7.
    Even the most brain-dead thread starter can elicit some interesting info.
    victor, May 14, 2010
    #8
  9. AD.

    victor Guest

    On 14/05/2010 2:29 p.m., impossible wrote:
    ..
    >
    > Yes, that's about as many pc's in all the world running linux as there
    > pcs running Windows in the Bronx.



    The Bronx has a population of 1.3 million.
    I guess that's just your typical windbag rhetoric.
    victor, May 14, 2010
    #9
  10. AD.

    AD. Guest

    On May 14, 2:29 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > I'm not an operating system fan at all. Couldn't care less. I'm a working
    > girl -- an os is just a platform to run applications.
    >
    > And the perorative term is "fanboy" -- someone with a fixation on operating
    > systems that is supernaturally intense. Larry D'Loser, for example, or
    > Sweaty Pee -- those are your true nix fanboys.


    Hehe. That must've been hard to say with a straight face. The only
    difference is that you can do irony better than they can.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., May 14, 2010
    #10
  11. AD.

    victor Guest

    On 14/05/2010 3:12 p.m., impossible wrote:

    >
    > In any case, yes -- a fair estimate would be that there are about as
    > many pc's in all the world running linux as there pcs running Windows in
    > the Bronx.
    >


    But you claimed a figure of 16 million linux desktop web clients based
    on your web counter site stats.

    Do people in the Bronx have an extraordinary need for Windows desktops ?
    victor, May 14, 2010
    #11
  12. In article <hsid9j$fn7$-september.org>, victor <> wrote:
    >On 14/05/2010 2:29 p.m., impossible wrote:
    >..
    >>
    >> Yes, that's about as many pc's in all the world running linux as there
    >> pcs running Windows in the Bronx.


    >The Bronx has a population of 1.3 million.
    >I guess that's just your typical windbag rhetoric.


    ... that's simply another fine example of it's abilty to use the "79.47 % of
    statistics are made up on the spot" rule to provide "evidence" to support
    it's zealotry. :)
    I've never seen any believable numbers from it. Neither do I expect to. Yes,
    I asked politely. Nothing.
    Put it in the bin and leave it there ... please. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, May 17, 2010
    #12
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Network Guru
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    617
    catwalker63
    Sep 18, 2005
  2. CoffeeMan

    Reality Check info

    CoffeeMan, Jan 23, 2006, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    56
    Views:
    1,575
  3. Au79

    After all this years... Microsoft still CRAP

    Au79, Nov 7, 2007, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    451
  4. victor
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    294
    David Empson
    May 13, 2010
  5. thanatoid
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    979
    §ñühw¤£f
    Sep 8, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page