Re: LINUX

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Wombus, Aug 14, 2003.

  1. Wombus

    Wombus Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone tell me how much new learning is there to using Linux instead

    of
    > MS
    > have Mandrake 9 ut am not too sure if I know what to do and how to use it

    as
    > some have told me it is like having to learn a whole new language...????

    I'm a complete Linux Newbee and gave Mandrake 9 ago. Just a brief summary
    of my experience
    Went for a Dual boot, Was way easy to install and found and installed
    drivers for most things from the CD with no problem. I found drivers for my
    Win modem online and my connection now works fine. I had a few problems
    installing the genuine Nvida Driver but with plenty of research I finally
    installed it.
    I am now having a short break because of study but when I get the chance
    soon I want to get DVD's playing, basically it don't play them out the box
    (nor does Windows) but from reading up, lots of files to download and
    install (looks tricky and time consuming). Also I'm playing Audio using the
    built in MB sound, as couldn't work out how to install the driver for my PCI
    6 channel card (why do we have to build drivers??? I just want to click and
    install thanks) anyway will get back to it when I get the chance.

    I recommed you have a go as most things are easy....
    ..
    Wombus, Aug 14, 2003

  2. Wombus

    Steven H Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > why do we have to build drivers??? I just want to click and
    > install thanks

    because nerds like to do things like that - it makes them feel better
    than everybody else.

    look at from their side, they got the shit kicked out of them at school
    (some of them are still in school) - this is their way to say "**** you
    world - live by my rules".

    Steven H
    Steven H, Aug 14, 2003