Re: LINUX

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter, Aug 14, 2003.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    this quote is from Peter of Thu, 14 Aug 2003 20:18 :

    > Can anyone tell me how much new learning is there to using Linux instead
    > of MS
    > have Mandrake 9 ut am not too sure if I know what to do and how to use it
    > as some have told me it is like having to learn a whole new
    > language...????

    Linux is different, so there is some learning to do. So long as you accept
    this and have some patience, you should be ok.

    Mandrake 9.1 is the current version. There is a book available from
    http://www.linuxshop.co.nz/books.html
    which looks like it would be good value. (And no, I have no connection with
    that shop.) If I was starting out now, I'd buy that book.
    I started with Redhat 7.1 a couple of years ago and got it running ok with
    an investment in a similar book and lots of google searches. I'm now
    running MDK9.1 (not dual boot, though).

    If you are in a major city, there's probably a LUG (= Linux user group)
    nearby, with lots of folks who can help you.
    http://www.linux.net.nz/pages.php?node=02/02/19/5517405

    Starting with dual boot is a good idea. Then you can try out Linux while
    keeping your Windows software operational. Make a partition of about 5GB
    for Linux.

    Oh, and read this ...

    Good newsgroups include alt.os.linux.mandrake comp.os.linux.x and nz.comp.

    good luck!

    Peter
    Peter, Aug 14, 2003