Re: Linux usage hits 24-month low

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by eyes, Dec 5, 2009.

  1. eyes

    eyes Guest

    impossible wrote:
    > Oh, dear. How will the Larry D'Loserites explain this?
    >
    > http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php
    >
    > Larry will hunker down and say nothing, hoping the bad news simply fades
    > from memory.
    >
    > ConTheNations will claim that declining usage is actually a good thing
    > because the nixophiliac user base will be purer that way.
    >
    > Peter The Whiner will insist that this is a lie planted by Microsoft
    > agents.
    >
    > Allistar will remind us that he still uses linux (sometimes).
    >
    > Ms Penguin will chant a verse from the Book of Richard Stallman.
    >
    > Sailor Scam will point out that usage of Windows 98 is also declining.

    Our household recently swapped out one XP for an Ubuntu install. Entire
    thing has gone smoothly. The wife is playing Sims 3 without any problems
    via Wine. The 3 year old can load up Playhouse Disney (online), and do
    her games/stories.

    I was very tempted to install Linux on my main XP machine after avast
    decided everything was a virus. I'm tired of running all of the required
    security products for a Windows install, with all of the overhead they need.
    eyes, Dec 5, 2009

  2. eyes

    Sailor Sam Guest

    impossible wrote:

    > "eyes" <> wrote in message
    >> impossible wrote:
    >>> Oh, dear. How will the Larry D'Loserites explain this?
    >>>
    >>> http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php
    >>>
    >>> Larry will hunker down and say nothing, hoping the bad news simply
    >>> fades from memory.
    >>>
    >>> ConTheNations will claim that declining usage is actually a good
    >>> thing because the nixophiliac user base will be purer that way.
    >>>
    >>> Peter The Whiner will insist that this is a lie planted by Microsoft
    >>> agents.
    >>>
    >>> Allistar will remind us that he still uses linux (sometimes).
    >>>
    >>> Ms Penguin will chant a verse from the Book of Richard Stallman.
    >>>
    >>> Sailor Scam will point out that usage of Windows 98 is also declining.
    >>>

    >> Our household recently swapped out one XP for an Ubuntu install.
    >> Entire thing has gone smoothly. The wife is playing Sims 3 without any
    >> problems via Wine. The 3 year old can load up Playhouse Disney
    >> (online), and do her games/stories.
    >>
    >> I was very tempted to install Linux on my main XP machine after avast
    >> decided everything was a virus. I'm tired of running all of the
    >> required security products for a Windows install, with all of the
    >> overhead they need.

    > Like Allistar, you suffer from the misconception that everything is
    > about you.

    What point is a computer, if it's not the servant of the user?
    Sailor Sam, Dec 5, 2009

  3. eyes

    Sailor Sam Guest

    impossible wrote:

    > "Sailor Sam" <> wrote in message
    >> impossible wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "eyes" <> wrote in message

    >>> Like Allistar, you suffer from the misconception that everything is
    >>> about you.

    >> What point is a computer, if it's not the servant of the user?

    > Thousands of users who have abandoned linux are asking themselves that
    > very question.

    So you agree, it's not a misconception to think it's all about them.
    Sailor Sam, Dec 5, 2009
  4. eyes

    AD. Guest

    On Dec 5, 5:43 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > Like Allistar, you suffer from the misconception that everything is about
    > you.

    Don't worry, everyone else realises that everything is really just
    about you (and your child support squabbles with Larry)

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Dec 5, 2009
  5. eyes

    Sailor Sam Guest

    impossible wrote:

    > "Sailor Sam" <> wrote in message
    >> impossible wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Sailor Sam" <> wrote in message

    >>> It's a misconception to think that a personal anecdote constitutes an
    >>> argument for or against **anything**.

    >> About as trustworthy as the statistical data you have presented thus far.
    >>
    >>> The data tells us that more users are opting for Windows and Mac OsX,
    >>> while fewer are choosing Linux.

    >> The data tells us nothing of the sort. There are too many confounding
    >> variables within the data to draw such a conclusion.
    >>
    >>> You can stick your head in the sand and pretend that, just because
    >>> you have a mate who's still using Linux, Linux usage has not in fact
    >>> hit a 24-month low. But outside the Larry D'Loserite sect, no one
    >>> will think that's an attractive pose.

    >> Linux usage might be up, or down, but we will never know from these
    >> figures.

    > When you whistle past the graveyard, what tune do you prefer?

    The one called 'reliable science'
    Sailor Sam, Dec 5, 2009
  6. eyes

    AD. Guest

    On Dec 6, 3:53 am, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > A signature Larry D'Loserite post always begins by hacking to death somone's
    > original post and then making a lame reply to a sentence ripped
    > out-of-context.

    You're just pissed that Larry doesn't listen to you any more, and
    instead you had to take it out on someone silly enough to try actually
    adding something to your 'conversation'.

    > Thank you for illustrating that despicable technique -- but,
    > for the record, I've restored the original.

    Oh no, not the original! Your excessive quoting has defeated me!

    > This is a thread about Linux usage hitting a 24-month low. Anything to say
    > on that topic, ADolt, or are you just here to make a fool of yourself?

    Nah, I'm just here for the abuse. It's about the only thing going in
    nz.comp these days.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Dec 5, 2009
  7. eyes

    victor Guest

    AD. wrote:
    > On Dec 6, 3:53 am, "impossible" <> wrote:
    >> A signature Larry D'Loserite post always begins by hacking to death somone's
    >> original post and then making a lame reply to a sentence ripped
    >> out-of-context.

    > You're just pissed that Larry doesn't listen to you any more, and
    > instead you had to take it out on someone silly enough to try actually
    > adding something to your 'conversation'.
    >
    >> Thank you for illustrating that despicable technique -- but,
    >> for the record, I've restored the original.

    > Oh no, not the original! Your excessive quoting has defeated me!
    >
    >> This is a thread about Linux usage hitting a 24-month low. Anything to say
    >> on that topic, ADolt, or are you just here to make a fool of yourself?

    > Nah, I'm just here for the abuse. It's about the only thing going in
    > nz.comp these days.

    Its a shame really that its not possible to have a conversation about
    what site stats indicate.
    For most people changing the operating system on the laptop they bought
    is as conceivable as changing the program that runs their car.
    Its not because they want to run Matlab or AutoCAD.
    victor, Dec 5, 2009
  8. eyes

    Sailor Sam Guest

    impossible wrote:

    > "Sailor Sam" <> wrote in message
    >> impossible wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Sailor Sam" <> wrote in message

    >>> When you whistle past the graveyard, what tune do you prefer?

    >> The one called 'reliable science'

    > Undoubtedly a hit in the faith-based pseudo-scientific Church of Larry
    > DLoserites.

    There's only one person peddling faith based pseudo science, and that's
    the one claiming these stats mean more than they do.
    Sailor Sam, Dec 5, 2009
  9. eyes

    victor Guest

    whoisthis wrote:
    > In article <hfeffe$k4f$-september.org>,
    > victor <> wrote:
    >
    >> AD. wrote:
    >>> You're just pissed that Larry doesn't listen to you any more, and
    >>> instead you had to take it out on someone silly enough to try actually
    >>> adding something to your 'conversation'.

    >>> Oh no, not the original! Your excessive quoting has defeated me!

    >>> Nah, I'm just here for the abuse. It's about the only thing going in
    >>> nz.comp these days.
    >>>

    >> Its a shame really that its not possible to have a conversation about
    >> what site stats indicate.
    >> For most people changing the operating system on the laptop they bought
    >> is as conceivable as changing the program that runs their car.
    >> Its not because they want to run Matlab or AutoCAD.

    > For me it is.
    > I use Windows for CAD work because it is the only platform that Altium
    > runs on. However at home and for everything else I run Macs (I actually
    > run Altium inside a Parallels VM ).

    Sure, I use a variety of operating systems and applications on different
    PCs for different reasons, but most domestic users will buy a Windows
    laptop from a chainstore and use the browser for google, facebook,
    yahoomail etc, AutoCAD and Matlab exist for Windows because the small
    percentage of PC users that have a use for them are likely to have
    access to a Windows PC, not the other way around.
    The fact that you have to run Windows on your Mac for a niche program as
    I do for some similar apps proves my point, niche apps are written for
    the commodity OS. Which is currently Windows XP despite Vista's three
    years on the market.
    impossible has cherrypicked his data from w3 counter, a sample of 30000
    sites who voluntarily install their link. His previous trolls used
    Netapps which shows Linux same as ever at ~1%
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/02/market_share_statistics/
    The world internet population is 1 billion on 2008 figures, so thousands
    giving up on Linux won't affect the 10 million base figure much.
    victor, Dec 5, 2009
  10. eyes

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-12-05, AD. <> wrote:
    > On Dec 5, 5:43 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    >> Like Allistar, you suffer from the misconception that everything is about
    >> you.

    > Don't worry, everyone else realises that everything is really just
    > about you (and your child support squabbles with Larry)

    Oh yes! BABYMASH, where are you? No not the child support squabbles bit.
    Gordon, Dec 6, 2009
  11. eyes

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-12-05, victor <> wrote:
    > AD. wrote:
    >> On Dec 6, 3:53 am, "impossible" <> wrote:
    >>> A signature Larry D'Loserite post always begins by hacking to death somone's
    >>> original post and then making a lame reply to a sentence ripped
    >>> out-of-context.

    >> You're just pissed that Larry doesn't listen to you any more, and
    >> instead you had to take it out on someone silly enough to try actually
    >> adding something to your 'conversation'.
    >>
    >>> Thank you for illustrating that despicable technique -- but,
    >>> for the record, I've restored the original.

    >> Oh no, not the original! Your excessive quoting has defeated me!
    >>
    >>> This is a thread about Linux usage hitting a 24-month low. Anything to say
    >>> on that topic, ADolt, or are you just here to make a fool of yourself?

    >> Nah, I'm just here for the abuse. It's about the only thing going in
    >> nz.comp these days.
    >>

    > Its a shame really that its not possible to have a conversation about
    > what site stats indicate.
    > For most people changing the operating system on the laptop they bought
    > is as conceivable as changing the program that runs their car.

    Oh Yes! Saying of the year.
    Gordon, Dec 6, 2009
  12. eyes

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-12-06, whoisthis <> wrote:

    > Actually you missed a point, I use Altium and XP because they are the
    > BEST choice for the job. I have looked at other freeware options and
    > they have been shit, the loss of productivity would very rapidly make
    > the "free" software much more expensive.

    Read it is because of history. Sorry, money/profit. ;-
    Gordon, Dec 6, 2009
  13. eyes

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-12-05, Sailor Sam <> wrote:

    [snip]

    > What point is a computer, if it's not the servant of the user?

    There is a episode in Star Trek the Next Generation which addresses this
    question. Well two.

    In short, they need to be able to think, and make choices for themselves
    which are outside the noraml parameters. Read a curve ball comes in out of
    left field.
    Gordon, Dec 6, 2009
  14. eyes

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-12-05, impossible <> wrote:

    > Thousands of users who have abandoned linux are asking themselves that very
    > question.

    You are living up to your name in your postings
    Gordon, Dec 6, 2009
  15. eyes

    victor Guest

    impossible wrote:

    > No, it just means that Linux usage has hit a 24-month low. Thank you for
    > your contribution, Victor.

    You are welcome.
    Nothing you have posted is a measure of linux usage.
    victor, Dec 6, 2009
  16. eyes

    victor Guest

    whoisthis wrote:

    > Actually you missed a point, I use Altium and XP because they are the
    > BEST choice for the job. I have looked at other freeware options and
    > they have been shit, the loss of productivity would very rapidly make
    > the "free" software much more expensive.

    You would use the Altium OSX version if it was available, surely ?
    Windows XP is 8 years old, I make sure I get a new Windows laptop every
    3 years or so to run the software written for it, why bother with some
    dodgy workaround.
    victor, Dec 6, 2009