Re: linux questions

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gordon, Jan 18, 2004.

  1. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 06:39:55 +0000, Steve Robertson wrote:

    > A few linux questions. Ive having a play with a few disro CD's on my spare PC.
    > Whats the best/most robust file system, etx2,3 resizer etc. Linux has
    > a rep of getting upset if you dont shut it down correctly, I toasted Mandrake
    > by shutting down with the power button, is Linux this fragile??
    > Can I use a fat32 file system??
    > I like KDE but I dont like how slow it is.

    I have a old machine, 233Mhz and 64MB of ram on which win98 works okay,
    while KDE (MDK 9.1) having one take a coffee break between changing
    programmes.

    KDE and GUI in general consume clock cycles and memory. Getting rid of the
    GUI brings the speed up to good.

    > What is the reasoning of using Konqueror
    > as a file browser, its like having to start up netscape in win.

    One tool does it all, which is very windows. The *nix philosophy is to
    make one tool which does one thing, but does it very well. Call on tools
    as required.

    Surely a web browser
    > is a stupid choice for the default local file browser. What are similar style(ie Win lookalike)
    > window managers that run faster??

    Icewm etc.

    Gordon, Jan 18, 2004

  2. Gordon

    Lennier Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 18:49:04 +1300, Gordon wrote:

    > I have a old machine, 233Mhz and 64MB of ram on which win98 works okay,
    > while KDE (MDK 9.1) having one take a coffee break between changing
    > programmes.

    Perhaps you have many unnecessary services running. Have you shut down all
    except the essential ones?

    How about using a lighter GUI?

    You don't need to use KDE or Gnome - there are other options - even design
    your own one.

    Lennier

    --
    "It is a joy to labor for those you love."

    Lennier, Jan 18, 2004

  3. Gordon

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <pan.2004.01.18.06.25.55.474421@TRACKER>,
    lid says...
    > On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 18:49:04 +1300, Gordon wrote:
    >
    > > I have a old machine, 233Mhz and 64MB of ram on which win98 works okay,
    > > while KDE (MDK 9.1) having one take a coffee break between changing
    > > programmes.

    > Perhaps you have many unnecessary services running. Have you shut down all
    > except the essential ones?
    >
    > How about using a lighter GUI?
    >
    > You don't need to use KDE or Gnome - there are other options - even design
    > your own one.

    What is needed to run Mozilla?

    Mainlander, Jan 18, 2004
  4. Gordon

    Enkidu Guest

    wrote:

    >On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 06:39:55 +0000, Steve Robertson wrote:
    >
    >> A few linux questions. Ive having a play with a few disro CD's on my spare PC.
    >> Whats the best/most robust file system, etx2,3 resizer etc. Linux has
    >> a rep of getting upset if you dont shut it down correctly, I toasted Mandrake
    >> by shutting down with the power button, is Linux this fragile??
    >> Can I use a fat32 file system??
    >> I like KDE but I dont like how slow it is.

    >I have a old machine, 233Mhz and 64MB of ram on which win98 works okay,
    >while KDE (MDK 9.1) having one take a coffee break between changing
    >programmes.
    >
    >KDE and GUI in general consume clock cycles and memory. Getting rid of the
    >GUI brings the speed up to good.

    Um, the 64MB is probably the problem.

    >> What is the reasoning of using Konqueror
    >> as a file browser, its like having to start up netscape in win.

    >One tool does it all, which is very windows. The *nix philosophy is to
    >make one tool which does one thing, but does it very well. Call on tools
    >as required.
    >

    > Surely a web browser
    >> is a stupid choice for the default local file browser. What are similar style(ie Win lookalike)
    >> window managers that run faster??

    >Icewm etc.

    I use that on a small slow box.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    --

    Christmas comes but once a year, thank the gods. I don't think
    that I could cope with twice.

    Enkidu, Jan 18, 2004
  5. In article <pan.2004.01.18.06.25.55.474421@TRACKER>, Lennier <> wrote:
    >On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 18:49:04 +1300, Gordon wrote:
    >
    >> I have a old machine, 233Mhz and 64MB of ram on which win98 works okay,
    >> while KDE (MDK 9.1) having one take a coffee break between changing

    Add more RAM.

    Steve Robertson, Jan 18, 2004
  6. Gordon

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    "Gordon" <> wrote:

    > I have a old machine, 233Mhz and 64MB of ram on which win98 works okay,
    > while KDE (MDK 9.1) having one take a coffee break between changing
    > programmes.

    Linux without a GUI will run very well and fast in 64MB, or even 32MB.

    X Windows is a total *pig*. It needs lots of RAM. 256 MB minimum, and
    preferably 512 MB if you run anything more than emacs and a couple of
    xterms. (*especially* if you run a web browser)

    -- Bruce

    Bruce Hoult, Jan 19, 2004
  7. On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 13:06:29 +1300, Bruce Hoult wrote:

    > Linux without a GUI will run very well and fast in 64MB, or even 32MB.
    >
    > X Windows is a total *pig*. It needs lots of RAM.

    If you load up all the eye candy, yes.

    I'm running in 48Mb as I type.

    > 256 MB minimum, and
    > preferably 512 MB if you run anything more than emacs and a couple of
    > xterms. (*especially* if you run a web browser)

    Try not loading up KDE or Gnome.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jan 19, 2004
  8. Gordon

    steve Guest

    Bruce Hoult wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > "Gordon" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have a old machine, 233Mhz and 64MB of ram on which win98 works okay,
    >> while KDE (MDK 9.1) having one take a coffee break between changing
    >> programmes.

    > Linux without a GUI will run very well and fast in 64MB, or even 32MB.
    >
    > X Windows is a total *pig*. It needs lots of RAM. 256 MB minimum, and
    > preferably 512 MB if you run anything more than emacs and a couple of
    > xterms. (*especially* if you run a web browser)
    >
    > -- Bruce

    Nah......

    Gentoo Linux with X and the Fluxbox window manager runs just fine in
    96MB.....with Mozilla 1.5 for browsing and e-mail and 'mc' as a file
    manager.

    128MB would be sheer luxury.

    steve, Jan 19, 2004
  9. Gordon

    steve Guest

    steve wrote:

    > Gentoo Linux with X and the Fluxbox window manager runs just fine in
    > 96MB.....with Mozilla 1.5 for browsing and e-mail and 'mc' as a file
    > manager.

    .....and this is nice and snappy in terms of respone - on a PII-300MHz IBM
    laptop.

    steve, Jan 19, 2004
  10. Gordon

    Warwick Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 13:06:29 +1300, Bruce Hoult wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > "Gordon" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have a old machine, 233Mhz and 64MB of ram on which win98 works okay,
    >> while KDE (MDK 9.1) having one take a coffee break between changing
    >> programmes.

    > Linux without a GUI will run very well and fast in 64MB, or even 32MB.
    >
    > X Windows is a total *pig*. It needs lots of RAM. 256 MB minimum, and
    > preferably 512 MB if you run anything more than emacs and a couple of
    > xterms. (*especially* if you run a web browser)
    >
    > -- Bruce

    X- windows is running fine on my Debian box - which is specced the same as
    Gordons P2 with 64 MB Ram.

    best
    Warwick

    Warwick, Jan 19, 2004
  11. Try Damn Small , its only a 50M download & runs off CD.
    http://www.damnsmalllinux.org

    Also try another WindowManager: Mandrake gives a few options here.

    Steve Robertson, Jan 19, 2004
  12. brianM wrote:
    > if you want to see the WM and IceWM desktops, I can
    > put up a screencapture on my website.

    sure... give us the URL.

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 19, 2004
  13. Gordon

    Allistar Guest

    brianM wrote:

    > On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 22:09:16 +1300, Mainlander wrote:
    >
    >> In article <pan.2004.01.18.06.25.55.474421@TRACKER>,
    >> lid says...

    >>> Perhaps you have many unnecessary services running. Have you shut down
    >>> all except the essential ones?
    >>>
    >>> How about using a lighter GUI?
    >>>
    >>> You don't need to use KDE or Gnome - there are other options - even
    >>> design your own one.

    >> What is needed to run Mozilla?

    > IceWM and WindowMaker (both window managers are available in Mandrake)
    > will run Mozilla, and anything else . A lot quicker than say KDE or Gnome
    > imho. I really like WindowMaker for its speed, simplicity, and sheer good
    > looks..
    > if you want to see the WM and IceWM desktops, I can
    > put up a screencapture on my website.

    That would be good, I've been use KDE for a couple of years now (admittedly
    on a P4 2.4 with 512Mb of RAM, so it performs well) but I am always
    interested in alternatives.

    Does WM or IceWM properly support a dual monitor setup?

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Jan 19, 2004
  14. brianM wrote:
    >>>if you want to see the WM and IceWM desktops, I can
    >>>put up a screencapture on my website.

    >>sure... give us the URL.

    > http://linuxguide.co.nz
    > at the very bottom of the page

    pretty...
    I like it.

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 19, 2004
  15. Gordon

    kiwidvd Guest

    What is it with these people who post with their computer clock set forward
    in time, are they just trying to maximise their exposure by making the rest
    of us put up with their posts stuffing up our marking of the latest post.

    kiwidvd, Jan 20, 2004
  16. Gordon

    brianM Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 22:09:16 +1300, Mainlander wrote:

    > In article <pan.2004.01.18.06.25.55.474421@TRACKER>,
    > lid says...
    >> On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 18:49:04 +1300, Gordon wrote:
    >>
    >> > I have a old machine, 233Mhz and 64MB of ram on which win98 works okay,
    >> > while KDE (MDK 9.1) having one take a coffee break between changing
    >> > programmes.

    >> Perhaps you have many unnecessary services running. Have you shut down all
    >> except the essential ones?
    >>
    >> How about using a lighter GUI?
    >>
    >> You don't need to use KDE or Gnome - there are other options - even design
    >> your own one.

    > What is needed to run Mozilla?

    IceWM and WindowMaker (both window managers are available in Mandrake)
    will run Mozilla, and anything else . A lot quicker than say KDE or Gnome
    imho. I really like WindowMaker for its speed, simplicity, and sheer good
    looks..
    if you want to see the WM and IceWM desktops, I can
    put up a screencapture on my website.

    cheers
    BrianM

    brianM, Jan 20, 2004
  17. Gordon

    brianM Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 21:52:04 +1300, Allistar wrote:

    > brianM wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 22:09:16 +1300, Mainlander wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article <pan.2004.01.18.06.25.55.474421@TRACKER>,
    >>> lid says...

    >>> What is needed to run Mozilla?

    >> IceWM and WindowMaker (both window managers are available in Mandrake)
    >> will run Mozilla, and anything else . A lot quicker than say KDE or Gnome
    >> imho. I really like WindowMaker for its speed, simplicity, and sheer good
    >> looks..
    >> if you want to see the WM and IceWM desktops, I can
    >> put up a screencapture on my website.

    > That would be good, I've been use KDE for a couple of years now (admittedly
    > on a P4 2.4 with 512Mb of RAM, so it performs well) but I am always
    > interested in alternatives.
    >
    > Does WM or IceWM properly support a dual monitor setup?
    >
    > Allistar.

    Hi Allistar
    I too like KDE, especially the new crystal icons, and it's great to try
    out different options on the one O/S. Sorry I can't answer your question
    about dual monitors because I've never tried it. I've added 3 full-sized
    grabs of WindowMaker + IceWM desktops in
    http://linuxguide.co.nz
    at the bottom of the page.

    cheers
    Brian

    brianM, Jan 20, 2004
  18. Gordon

    brianM Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 20:55:04 +1300, T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > brianM wrote:
    >> if you want to see the WM and IceWM desktops, I can
    >> put up a screencapture on my website.

    > sure... give us the URL.

    Hi Dave

    brianM, Jan 20, 2004