Re: linux questions

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gordon, Aug 5, 2003.

  1. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 06:39:55 +0000, Steve Robertson wrote:

    > A few linux questions. Ive having a play with a few disro CD's on my spare PC.
    > Whats the best/most robust file system, etx2,3 resizer etc. Linux has
    > a rep of getting upset if you dont shut it down correctly, I toasted Mandrake
    > by shutting down with the power button, is Linux this fragile??
    > Can I use a fat32 file system??
    > I like KDE but I dont like how slow it is.

    I have a old machine, 233Mhz and 64MB of ram on which win98 works okay,
    while KDE (MDK 9.1) having one take a coffee break between changing
    programmes.

    KDE and GUI in general consume clock cycles and memory. Getting rid of the
    GUI brings the speed up to good.

    > What is the reasoning of using Konqueror
    > as a file browser, its like having to start up netscape in win.

    One tool does it all, which is very windows. The *nix philosophy is to
    make one tool which does one thing, but does it very well. Call on tools
    as required.

    Surely a web browser
    > is a stupid choice for the default local file browser.
    > What are similar style(ie Win lookalike)
    > window managers that run faster??

    Icewm etc.

    Gordon, Aug 5, 2003

  2. Gordon

    AD. Guest

    Gordon wrote:

    > I have a old machine, 233Mhz and 64MB of ram on which win98 works okay,
    > while KDE (MDK 9.1) having one take a coffee break between changing
    > programmes.

    You probably already know this, but KDE 1.1 from roughly the same period
    would probably be faster than Win98 on that machine. Complaining Mandrake
    9.1 is slow on a 233/64 machine is like complaining XP is too slow on that
    machine.

    >> What is the reasoning of using Konqueror
    >> as a file browser, its like having to start up netscape in win.

    > One tool does it all, which is very windows. The *nix philosophy is to
    > make one tool which does one thing, but does it very well. Call on tools
    > as required.
    >
    > Surely a web browser
    >> is a stupid choice for the default local file browser.

    Actually it isn't like that underneath (Windows isn't either). Konqueror is
    really just a GUI container that embeds other components when needed. When
    it is looking at a webpage, it loads khtml to render it. khtml is what
    Apple used for its new browser. When Konq is looking at filesystems or
    other things, it isn't running the html rendering code.

    >> What are similar style(ie Win lookalike)
    >> window managers that run faster??

    > Icewm etc.

    Icewm is nice - I also like blackbox.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Aug 5, 2003

  3. Just an update to the original post
    I reinstalled Mandrake, added some ram, setup the install option
    to workstation only, was more picky about what installed & what services
    ran on startup.
    It now runs like a dream. Probhably the extra ram, I'll try taking it out to confirm this.

    I still would like to know how to give a user root acess rights (just to save time while I'm
    learning, I'm trying to fit it into my lunchtime).The hard stuff is coming up next (automounting
    a USB pen/flash drive).

    Steve Robertson, Aug 6, 2003
  4. Gordon

    lily Guest

    "Steve Robertson" <> wrote in message
    > Just an update to the original post
    > I reinstalled Mandrake, added some ram, setup the install option
    > to workstation only, was more picky about what installed & what services
    > ran on startup.
    > It now runs like a dream. Probhably the extra ram, I'll try taking it out

    to confirm this.

    > I still would like to know how to give a user root acess rights (just to

    save time while I'm
    > learning, I'm trying to fit it into my lunchtime).The hard stuff is coming

    up next (automounting
    > a USB pen/flash drive).

    Heres a link for you.
    http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/admin/aroot2.html#kdesu

    kdesu is new to me, must try it

    There is also a graphic front end for sudo called gnome-sudo

    lily, Aug 6, 2003