Re: linux questions

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nicholas Sherlock, Aug 5, 2003.

  1. "Steve Robertson" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Surely a web browser is a stupid choice for the default local file browser

    That's what Windows does :)

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Aug 5, 2003

  2. Nicholas Sherlock

    Ben Perston Guest

    Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

    > "Steve Robertson" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Surely a web browser is a stupid choice for the default local file browser

    > That's what Windows does :)

    It's just faster so that you don't notice it so much :)

    The plus side of finding the gui "explorer" substitutes in Linux so
    clunky was that I got to grips with the command line for more stuff
    rather than face the pain of using them.

    Ben Perston, Aug 5, 2003

  3. Nicholas Sherlock

    Allistar Guest

    Ben Perston wrote:

    > Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >
    >> "Steve Robertson" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Surely a web browser is a stupid choice for the default local file
    >>>browser

    >> That's what Windows does :)

    > It's just faster so that you don't notice it so much :)
    >
    > The plus side of finding the gui "explorer" substitutes in Linux so
    > clunky was that I got to grips with the command line for more stuff
    > rather than face the pain of using them.

    I find Konqueror to be a great file browser too. I don't use it for web
    browsing though (Mozilla gets used for that). Konq takes a while to start
    up on my PIII 450 at home but runs quite nicely on my PIV 2.4 at work. The
    only two complaints I have about it is the time it takes to start and that
    the embedded PDF viewer has no apparent text search function.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Aug 6, 2003