Re: linux distro

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by snarkhunter, Apr 24, 2004.

  1. snarkhunter

    snarkhunter Guest

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 16:13:03 +1200, T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >> I have a Debian-based system here (Xandros 2.0 Standard) that runs
    >> very well in a PII-350 with 256MB of RAM. I would not call it a
    >> "slow" system. If I installed Win XP, I might.....but I have no
    >> plans to do that. It runs too well on Linux. :)

    > I installed XP on a machine lower than this which admittedly was
    > rather slow to begin with, but after a few tweaks, it runs like a
    > dream... It really depends on how machines are setup as to how they
    > perform, the Os seems to matter little.

    The OS matters quite a bit if it allows you to substitute a
    leaner/faster GUI layer like blackbox, or even a super-fast text-only
    UI.
    snarkhunter, Apr 24, 2004

  2. snarkhunter wrote:
    >>>I have a Debian-based system here (Xandros 2.0 Standard) that runs
    >>>very well in a PII-350 with 256MB of RAM. I would not call it a
    >>>"slow" system. If I installed Win XP, I might.....but I have no
    >>>plans to do that. It runs too well on Linux. :)

    >>I installed XP on a machine lower than this which admittedly was
    >>rather slow to begin with, but after a few tweaks, it runs like a
    >>dream... It really depends on how machines are setup as to how they
    >>perform, the Os seems to matter little.

    > The OS matters quite a bit if it allows you to substitute a
    > leaner/faster GUI layer like blackbox, or even a super-fast text-only
    > UI.

    only if you want/need to. If the machine runs fine with "insert window
    manager name here" then there is no need for the ability to change it.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Apr 25, 2004