Re: Linux distro for laptops

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by mnm snr, Jul 28, 2003.

  1. mnm snr

    mnm snr Guest

    linux has run well on laptops for the past five years

    it sounds like you would do yourself a big favour if you joined your local
    linux users group

    http://wlug.paradise.net.nz/

    mnm snr, Jul 28, 2003

  2. mnm snr

    mnm snr Guest

    have a look at this

    http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=linux on laptops acer

    there's usually someone who has had a go trying to put linux on anything
    that runs electricity.

    with your test did the hdd have any os on it when you loaded the boot cd?
    if not try bootdisk.com, make a 500mb partition and then boot the mandrake
    cd.

    winmodems are so common these days you would have to be unlucky not to
    find drivers for it, check the laptop spec (do a google for the
    chipset or check freshmeat)

    mnm snr, Jul 28, 2003

  3. mnm snr

    gromit Guest

    Yes, the laptop had WinXP home on it, but of course I was wanting to resize
    the partition and load Mandrake onto the partition I made.

    I've done it no worries at all on other machines but this one just would not
    see the hard drive at all.

    Hmmmmm.

    I haven't read up a lot on which winmodems are able to run under Linux, but
    rather than a Winmodem I was hoping it would have a real modem, but the guy
    in the shop couldn't tell me. Ummm, he looked a bit blank actually, I
    don't think he even knew what I was talking about.

    Cheers

    Gromit

    gromit, Jul 29, 2003
  4. mnm snr

    bambam Guest

    gromit <GR0M!> wrote in

    > Yes, the laptop had WinXP home on it, but of course I was wanting
    > to resize the partition and load Mandrake onto the partition I
    > made.

    Wouldn't a Knoppix CD be a better option to test hardware
    compatability? Especially in a shop.

    --
    If Guys Ruled the World............
    Dinner break would happen every hour and the boss would hire in

    bambam, Jul 29, 2003
  5. On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 22:39:57 +1200, gromit wrote:

    > Yes, the laptop had WinXP home on it, but of course I was wanting to
    > resize the partition and load Mandrake onto the partition I made.

    Use knoppix. It's designed for this kind of test.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jul 29, 2003
  6. mnm snr

    lily Guest

    "Uncle StoatWarbler" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 22:39:57 +1200, gromit wrote:
    >

    > > Yes, the laptop had WinXP home on it, but of course I was wanting to
    > > resize the partition and load Mandrake onto the partition I made.

    > Use knoppix. It's designed for this kind of test.

    Its quite laptop friendly too.
    Use the framebuffer cheatcodes offered at startup F2 to set your native
    screen size and try enabling alsa support if the sound doesn't work.

    lily, Jul 29, 2003