Re: Linux desktop usage plunges to new 3-year low

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gordon, Jan 27, 2011.

  1. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-01-27, impossible <> wrote:
    > Well...more like 3 years and change....
    >
    > Not since November of 2007 has linux had so few users on the desktop.
    >
    > http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php?year=2010&month=12
    >
    > Worst of all for the Diehard Freetard sorts, iPhone users now outnumber
    > linux users by a considerable margin. How much worse can it get, I wonder?

    In a slightly more balanced article it was pointed out that Linux, and its
    cousins where everywhere but on the desktop. They have infilltrated the who
    system.

    Desktops themselves are being out numbered by smart phones and tablets etc.
    Finally Androiod phones now outsell iphones.
    Gordon, Jan 27, 2011

  2. Gordon

    victor Guest

    On 27/01/2011 6:51 p.m., whoisthis wrote:
    > In article<>,
    > Gordon<> wrote:
    >
    >> On 2011-01-27, impossible<> wrote:
    >>> Well...more like 3 years and change....
    >>>
    >>> Not since November of 2007 has linux had so few users on the desktop.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php?year=2010&month=12
    >>>
    >>> Worst of all for the Diehard Freetard sorts, iPhone users now outnumber
    >>> linux users by a considerable margin. How much worse can it get, I wonder?
    >>>

    >> In a slightly more balanced article it was pointed out that Linux, and its
    >> cousins where everywhere but on the desktop. They have infilltrated the who
    >> system.
    >>
    >> Desktops themselves are being out numbered by smart phones and tablets etc.
    >> Finally Androiod phones now outsell iphones.

    > As opposed to IOS devices...

    I'd expect TVs that use linux to outnumber the lot, and they won't even
    show up in this "survey".
    victor, Jan 27, 2011

  3. Gordon

    victor Guest

    On 27/01/2011 8:37 p.m., whoisthis wrote:
    > In article<ihr5kd$f73$>, victor<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On 27/01/2011 6:51 p.m., whoisthis wrote:

    >>> As opposed to IOS devices...

    >> I'd expect TVs that use linux to outnumber the lot, and they won't even
    >> show up in this "survey".

    > There are a lot of RTOS systems used in embedded situations. However the
    > iPad, iPhone,iPod touch all use the same OS and can run essentially the
    > same Apps. How many TVs can you install Apps on without hacking them ?

    Oh they are undoubtedly the most unbelievably marvelous device, and
    probably considerably more numerous in percentage terms than this
    "survey" would indicate as well, since most of their usage is for apps,
    itunes, twitter, facebook etc which don't show up as webcounter traffic
    victor, Jan 27, 2011
  4. Gordon

    victor Guest

    On 27/01/2011 10:46 p.m., whoisthis wrote:
    > In article<ihr88k$pea$-september.org>,
    > victor<> wrote:
    >
    >> On 27/01/2011 8:37 p.m., whoisthis wrote:

    >>> There are a lot of RTOS systems used in embedded situations. However the
    >>> iPad, iPhone,iPod touch all use the same OS and can run essentially the
    >>> same Apps. How many TVs can you install Apps on without hacking them ?

    >> Oh they are undoubtedly the most unbelievably marvelous device, and
    >> probably considerably more numerous in percentage terms than this
    >> "survey" would indicate as well, since most of their usage is for apps,
    >> itunes, twitter, facebook etc which don't show up as webcounter traffic

    > more than 10 billion apps sold already.

    Is that counting the free ones as "sold" ? ;)
    victor, Jan 27, 2011
  5. Gordon

    victor Guest

    On 28/01/2011 7:21 a.m., whoisthis wrote:
    > In article<ihrhrm$rfl$-september.org>,
    > victor<> wrote:
    >
    >> On 27/01/2011 10:46 p.m., whoisthis wrote:

    >>> more than 10 billion apps sold already.

    >> Is that counting the free ones as "sold" ? ;)

    > Why not, the cost of $0 is still a legitimate cost.

    Not really a sale.
    Apple call them downloads, not sales, perhaps you could just post their
    PR verbatim, its impressive enough as it is.
    victor, Jan 28, 2011