Re: Linux bootable CD for secure ad-hoc wifi sharing?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave Doe, Jan 30, 2009.

  1. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <4982f8be$>, says...
    > I have looked at monowall and Live CDRouter etc. but want to know if anyone
    > thinks this is possible:
    >
    > Booting a Linux LiveCD, that reads config off a USB stick, and configures a
    > wireless laptop that is connected to a router via ethernet to share its
    > wireless NIC in ad-hoc mode with WPA security?
    >
    > XP can do all of this easily except for the LiveCD part and only allows WEP.
    > Vista can do this except for the LiveCD part.
    >
    > Also it is an Intel Pro 3945 Wireless NIC.
    >
    > not sure if hostapd supports this NIC or not?
    >
    > Man it is confusing with Linux and I don't have Vista - only XP on the
    > laptop!

    Have you looked that this: Linux off a USB stick - note also the
    comments below the article, re Unetbootin

    Installing Ubuntu 8.10 On Your USB Flash Drive

    This guide shows how you can install Ubuntu 8.10 on a USB flash drive.
    Ubuntu 8.10 comes with a tool that lets you create a USB startup disk
    easily - this startup disk behaves like the Ubuntu 8.10 Live-CD. This is
    useful if you want to install Ubuntu on a computer that has no CD/DVD
    drive. When you create the USB startup disk, you can also specify that
    you want your USB system to be persistent between boots (i.e., it does
    not lose your settings, documents, etc.) - that way you get a fully
    usable OS that you can carry around in your pocket.

    You can find the document here:
    http://www.howtoforge.com/installing-ubuntu-8.10-on-your-usb-flash-drive

    --
    Duncan