Re: Linux bootable CD for secure ad-hoc wifi sharing?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lodi, Jan 30, 2009.

  1. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    >Collector€NZ wrote:

    >> ofn01 wrote:
    >> I have looked at monowall and Live CDRouter etc. but want to know if
    >> anyone thinks this is possible:
    >>
    >> Booting a Linux LiveCD, that reads config off a USB stick, and configures
    >> a wireless laptop that is connected to a router via ethernet to share its
    >> wireless NIC in ad-hoc mode with WPA security?
    >>
    >> XP can do all of this easily except for the LiveCD part and only allows
    >> WEP. Vista can do this except for the LiveCD part.
    >>
    >> Also it is an Intel Pro 3945 Wireless NIC.
    >>
    >> not sure if hostapd supports this NIC or not?
    >>
    >> Man it is confusing with Linux and I don't have Vista - only XP on the
    >> laptop!
    >>

    > I think that your idea/plan is overkill, 2 reasons WiFi AP's are cheap
    > and have security on board, and they consume less power

    I can't comment on your wireless setup (cos my knowledge of wireless is
    zilch) but using both a live CD and a USB stick seems redundant. Persistent
    usb sticks are better than using a live cd and a usb stick together in my
    opinion. One less thing to go wrong. Set once then forget.

    Regards
    Lodi
    Lodi, Jan 30, 2009